The professionals and us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I like the videos and explanations that the professional woodworkers make available to us. I'm not sloppy or inaccurate so I'm generally pleased with my construction techniques.

However, I wonder how many video takes by the pros have to be pieced together to make that perfect presentation. OMG this stuff came right off of the table saw and it fits like a hand and glove! Perfect! :confused:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
just watch Marc Spagnuolo, he is rather open about the number of takes and mistakes... and edits he has to make to have everything look good...

agrieco

New User
anthony
just watch Marc Spagnuolo, he is rather open about the number of takes and mistakes... and edits he has to make to have everything look good...

I really like Marc's stuff, as well Paul Sellers (paulsellers.com) as well...both seem 'honest' about the mistakes they make.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
A-
I forgot about Paul!

Good point - I was just recently turned on to some of his stuff - here I think...:eusa_thin

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think there is a DVD of his TV series out for sale now. Paul I mean. If I'm thinking of the right guy.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
If I ever get a good HD video camera, maybe we can create an NCWW YouTube channel and show them how to do it! I'm an audio guy.

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
When I made how-to videos I found that stuff came out better than normal because of all the time I was taking to set the shots up and being careful to get them the first take. I can't remember getting away without any mistakes but I never though anyone would believe I was mistake-free anyway so why burn up video time showing them what they already knew. I think that makes sense.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Folks, I shot, produced & built studios for the City of Charlotte PR. division & Fire Dept. for over 18 years. In the real video world very few productions are shot live. Even the live shows go to edit to tack the opening & closing on. For a show showing how to do something there are many shots from different angles, close-ups, the big (show everything) establishing shot etc. Did you ever wonder why "Create" on PBS has a gizilion cooking shows? A cooking show can be shot with as few as 2 locked down cameras. They are some of the most simple productions there are. We did a bunch with the county extension service. 2 cameras switched live on site. We did as many as 3 or 4 1/2 hour shows a day.

I loved TV. Now however, I'm a dinosaur. Everything I did was analog and now it's all digital. It's a whold new world.

Pop

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think there is a DVD of his TV series out for sale now. Paul I mean. If I'm thinking of the right guy.
Too bad the difference in time -he would be a great guest to have for a chat!

Rick M

New User
Rick
I've spotted a couple instances in Tommy Mac's videos where the final piece is a different piece of wood but he has also been fairly honest on camera about mistakes so I respect him for that. Alain Vaillancourt has a woodworking channel, The Woodpecker, and his mistakes are often more entertaining than the project. Alain also has a behind the scenes video and it's crazy the amount of work he puts into each one, multiple camera angles, written scripts that are proofed and edited, but it really shows and his videos are top notch.

[video=youtube;hRtaZXOzjkY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRtaZXOzjkY[/video]

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike, we already have a digital video recorder and related equipment in our inventory. Check with the BoD as to its whereabouts.....

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The video equipment is currently in my possession. Let me know if it is needed and we'll get it where it needs to be.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've spotted a couple instances in Tommy Mac's videos where the final piece is a different piece of wood but he has also been fairly honest on camera about mistakes so I respect him for that. Alain Vaillancourt has a woodworking channel, The Woodpecker, and his mistakes are often more entertaining than the project. Alain also has a behind the scenes video and it's crazy the amount of work he puts into each one, multiple camera angles, written scripts that are proofed and edited, but it really shows and his videos are top notch.

[video=youtube;hRtaZXOzjkY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRtaZXOzjkY[/video]

Thanks Rick - jsut another example of learning about something new EVERY time I log onto NCWW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS