The Hounch Joint

Status
Not open for further replies.

rococojo

New User
Dr joseph hemingway
The Hounch Joint
« on: Today at 05:14:07 PM »
In a post on SAPFM: 19th Jan 07, bill Sutton claimed this: I don't think there is any significant structural advantage provided by a haunch; in fact I think it could be argued that it may actually weaken the post.

Can I take: Post, to mean a stile. (English termination)

Well to me? either way, that is bad advice.
For on a chair leg/rail joints for example, the haunch is there to? Stop the (haunch) end, or if used Ordinary mortise joint, twisting, inward or outward? Causing the glue joint to fail, thus needs a repair,
. By including a ¼” long haunch on a tennon, the mortise & tennon joint is connected the full width of the rail, at the joint line /same at the mortise. Making a joint that can never twist out of alignment.
The same rule applies: with a house door, a window frame, paneling, or furniture.
Remember: Haunch joints are there for a purpose, to make a stronger joint.
The truth must be told.

www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/thumbs/Picture_037.jpg

modify_inline.gif

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hello Jo! Glad you found our little corner of the internet! I have been to your site and am quite impressed with your skill.

I'm not sure I understand what your post is about? Are you asking our opinion on haunches? Assuming this is what you are talking about,
haunched-mortise-and-tenon-medium.jpg

I don't know if it adds much strength or not. If the tenon is short for narrow stock, I would think it would help though.

Please give everyone a brief introduction of yourself in the "Who We Are" section and show some of your work. I think you will get a very warm welcome and can likely help those of us who aspire to your skills!

M

McRabbet

Dr, Hemingway,

I must agree with you that a haunched tenon adds considerable strength versus a standard mortise and tenon in an application such as joining rails and stiles in a door frame. In American joinery, it is common to rely on simple cope and stick joints, for such frames, but they are inherently weak. A true M&T joint (using Ed's illustration above without the haunch) would require a stopped dado in the stiles (a little more difficult to make) and the corresponding tenon would be narrower in height. I prefer the haunched version for its superior glue area despite the small amount of exposed long grain in the ends of the stiles where the rail meets the joint.

rococojo

New User
Dr joseph hemingway
hi, I'm jo,that is my croped name, Joseph from Huddersfield, is where I live, its just down the holme valley:from Holmefirth, to answer 2 Q, in 1.
I live to carve, after a major set back:kamahlituin Jan 07 ,I was feeling very low:gar-Cr,but then a phone call,give me new life, I could teach other,by starting a :new; Social Enterprise so, Taylor & Hobson 1851-1991 was re-registered, my apprenticeship firm,was now a CIC training school, with help of an awarded grant by:The Millennium Trust, to start this new enterprose in: West Yorkshire:gar-La;.
as this venture entail's correcting our mistakes through teaching, this was the reason for this:
Hounch Joint,post:3dblob3:.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I drooled over the photo you have here of a chair you made, amazing work to say the least!

Don't suppose you have any pictures of the work in progress?

Would also love to see any other pictures of your work. :notworthy:

rococojo

New User
Dr joseph hemingway
I drooled over the photo you have here of a chair you made, amazing work to say the least!

http://www.sapfm.org/gallery/viewpiece.php?id=416

This is my lastest creation, from the 1754 Director: Thomas's: Ribbon-back chair, both back & front view's, I need to conquor this website? how
does anyone post a picture?

jerrye

New User
Jerry

uh...:eek:ah...:eusa_clapum...:eusa_dancwell...:notworthy:er...WOW!!!!!!!!!

nelsone

New User
Ed
Jo,

Since you are here and you like to teach, whould you be willing to provide a step by step tutorial on carving something like a newport shell? I think there are several others that may be interested in something like that besides myself!

I hope I'm not being presumptive in asking, but it is something I would really like some help with.

rococojo

New User
Dr joseph hemingway
Jo,

Since you are here and you like to teach, whould you be willing to provide a step by step tutorial on carving something like a newport shell? I think there are several others that may be interested in something like that besides myself!

I hope I'm not being presumptive in asking, but it is something I would really like some help with.

Ed,now which :help: Director is that in :embaresse? sorry just joking:rotflm:, I will need to do some reserch,first,but I don't see a problem. leave it with me please.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm not a furniture maker (yet) but I enjoy reading the posts of the members here that are & viewing their projects. I'm sure a good many of us would welcome your expertise on joinery & such. Heck, you might even learn us some o' that there 'Queen's English' along the way! :gar-La;
Looking forward to your future posts. As you can probably tell, most of us take our woodwork seriously, but not ourselves.

rococojo

New User
Dr joseph hemingway
I'm not a furniture maker (yet) but I enjoy reading the posts of the members here that are & viewing their projects. I'm sure a good many of us would welcome your expertise on joinery & such. Heck, you might even learn us some o' that there 'Queen's English' along the way! :gar-La;
Looking forward to your future posts. As you can probably tell, most of us take our woodwork seriously, but not ourselves.

Thanks Gotcha6, which:'Quear's Englaze'? (Tv,hello-hello) is that:rotflm:

rococojo

New User
Dr joseph hemingway
uh...:eek:ah...:eusa_clapum...:eusa_dancwell...:notworthy:er...WOW!!!!!!!!!

Hi jerrye, Mike as exlained the process to post to me now? now I'm searching for?

my Brain:XXfridge:thinkng seriusly, may well kill me off.

rococojo

New User
Dr joseph hemingway

hi Mike,I have all the 23r chair, in single pieces in photo's, could up load
if required.:nah: ? ho yes I have!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think you should make this one your avatar, maybe one of the moderators could do this for you if you agree?

Picture_037.jpg

And YES, upload as much as you like!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Hello Jo. Your work is outstanding. Truly remarkable! Such detail! :notworthy:

It is great to have you here. :icon_thum

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

rococojo

New User
Dr joseph hemingway
:eusa_booh
Hello Jo. Your work is outstanding. Truly remarkable! Such detail! :notworthy:

It is great to have you here. :icon_thum

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

Hi, Trent, Thank you for the compliment?
after treading the stage of life for Awile?:rotflm:it now seems I've found a recepitve audience :gar-La;:5sigh: Thank you.

rococojo

New User
Dr joseph hemingway
Hello Jo! Glad you found our little corner of the internet! I have been to your site and am quite impressed with your skill.

I'm not sure I understand what your post is about? Are you asking our opinion on haunches? Assuming this is what you are talking about,
haunched-mortise-and-tenon-medium.jpg

I don't know if it adds much strength or not. If the tenon is short for narrow stock, I would think it would help though.

Please give everyone a brief introduction of yourself in the "Who We Are" section and show some of your work. I think you will get a very warm welcome and can likely help those of us who aspire to your skills!

Hi Ed, Your illistration adds weight:rotflm: to this theory, thanks for your trouble.:eek:ccasion1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors