The finished Gum candle holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I don't know if any of you remember or not but I asked about how I could get a straight cut deeper into the bowl - Got good advice thanks:icon_thum I took a 3/16 cut off tool and went straight in as far as I could at intervals and then cleaned it out up to where I stopped with the COT - this is what I came up with - one coat of BLO and 2 coats of rattle can semi poly

I have two small cracks in it I put some thick CA in them hoping to stop the crack:dontknow:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Gum can be a pretty grained wood. I'm not overly fond of it.
Been a long time since I turned any. I remember it was twisted inside like a spring- so much tension in the wood. It didn't end well. Cracked and split even though I turned it when dry.
The man I helped cut it wasn't receptive to suggestion that we control the felling with the truck and a rope so it wouldn't do damage as it fell. Like every gum I've ever cut, it twisted and spun. A limb took the chimney off the house level with the roof.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Gum can be a pretty grained wood. I'm not overly fond of it.
Been a long time since I turned any. I remember it was twisted inside like a spring- so much tension in the wood. It didn't end well. Cracked and split even though I turned it when dry.
The man I helped cut it wasn't receptive to suggestion that we control the felling with the truck and a rope so it wouldn't do damage as it fell. Like every gum I've ever cut, it twisted and spun. A limb took the chimney off the house level with the roof.

Yes they can be tricky to drop - this one almost got the side of the house - I am thankful that it was a small one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS