The birth of a free-form cutting board

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
As to John's comment above-
I would imagine that the kerf of the cut vs the thickness of the maple doesn't matter at all. After the cut, the two sides should be perfectly parallel and therefore any thickness of strip (provided it will bend) would be able to be placed inbetween.

Chris I think that I would agree with you, except if the strip is less than the thickness of the blade kerf.
Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Chris I think that I would agree with you, except if the strip is less than the thickness of the blade kerf.

For the best result the strips should match the kerf exactly. The edges will be exactly paralell, but only the kerf distance away from each other. Greater or less and you will have problems. Cut a circle with a jig saw. Does the circle line right back up with the cutoff or is it off the thickness of the blade?

John

DavidF

New User
David
As to John's comment above-
I would imagine that the kerf of the cut vs the thickness of the maple doesn't matter at all. After the cut, the two sides should be perfectly parallel and therefore any thickness of strip (provided it will bend) would be able to be placed inbetween.

I think John is right. Lets say that the Radius of one of the curves is 5" to the inside of the blade. the other side of the piece has a radius of 5" + the blade thickness say 1/16th so that would be 5 1/16th Rad. Now suppose you add an 1/8th maple strip to the first 5" rad cut. the outside of the maple is now at 5 1/8" Rad and the second piece is at 5 1/16th so there will not be a truely tight match. The smaller the original radius the more accute the problem gets as the mismatch becomes a larger proportion of the radius. slight but possible important point. So the nearer the inlay is to the kerf the better.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
daveO,
those are awesome,,I second the idea about using those in panel,,that would be awesome,,or a hall table, that would be waaaay cool. Good job bro. be blessed

cpowell

New User
Chuck
That looks awesome DaveO. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

The math guy in me agrees with WGs thinking...and DavidF's translation to English. :lol: :lol: :lol:

FWIW the piece looks great with the slight offset. I never liked coloring inside the lines!

Great demo, DaveO!!!

Chuck

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I agree. You might also want to consider a "weekend workshop" for a limited number of people. Wouldn't have to be as formal as a class.

Of course there is one more option - HOLLYWOOD! :eusa_danc Either set up a video camera or find a friend willing to spend some time with you in your shop to record the process! Then make the video available.

Hey - that gives me an idea for a whole new cottage industry - Weekend project videos! Create a tape/DVD of about 4 or 5 projects that would take about a weekend to complete! If you want an agent, let me know! You could do your cutting board, Cathy some trivets,...:-D

The Woodworking Channel is looking for just that kind of thing. :eusa_clap

DaveO

New User
DaveO
But, then I would have to clean up my shop. It isn't fit to be shown to anyone. And get a body double, 'cause I ain't fit to be shown to no one either. 8-O:icon_scra:lol::lol::lol::5dunce:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I generally use Mineral Oil, but for these I buffed them with MicroMesh pads on my ROS and left them naturally shiney.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Well, this is certainly a worthwhile addition to the "How To" forum!

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Well it's only one day old and already I see a problem with the new How-To forum. There's not gonna be enough hours in the day to try all the great projects that this forum will
de-mystify.
This cutting board is great! What a clever process. :notworthy: :notworthy:
Ernie

woodylarry

New User
Larry
I wish I hadn't seen this post! I have always wanted to make one of these but couldn't quite figure out how it was done. Now I know and have to add it to my list of projects.

Seriously DaveO, Nice work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS