The best of ... power tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
A majority of my power tools/machines are used/recycled/rebuilt etc. so for me to recommend their purchase to another woodworker is kind of pointless since they are no longer sold.

That assumes we will buy new (not usually the case for me!). I want to hear more! Sometimes it is the oldies but goodies that I'm not aware of!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Things that have made my woodworking better, easier, more funner:

1. Festool TS55EQ Plunge Cut Circular Saw + Multifunction Table + Sawguides
Tablesaw quality cuts without the pucker factor, amazing dust collection and portable.

2. Festool Domino Mortiser
Incredibly easy, fast, accurate, strong wood joints.

4. Makita 14.4volt Impact Driver
How did I ever do anything with a screw before this thing?

5. Bosch 1/2 Sheet Sander
Like driving a big Cadillac. As fun as sanding can be with surprizingly good dust collection if you turn down your vacum.

6. Fein Turbo II Vac w/Cleanstream HEPA Filtration
Quiet, Powerful (sometimes too powerful), big capacity.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Interesting thread you started.
1. My recent purchase of a Laguna Pro 6 foot sliding tablesaw. A real step up from the Rockwell/Delta Unisaw I had. Handling plywood sheets is a breeze with the sliding table and scoring blade. I have been eye-balling sliding saws for years and finally took the plunge.
2. Any cordless drill/driver in my arsenal. Even though I am steps away from an outlet, I still reach for the battery-driven guys.
3. My Laguna LT18 bandsaw. Enough power to cut the universe in half.

bwat

New User
Bill
All good posts and interesting reads. I'll ditto on most duplicate/triplicate posts on the Makita lithium drill & drivers, Dewalt 735 planer, Jet Exacta saw, OSS sander and anything Festool has always exceeded my abilities.

Such an interesting thread that I'd like to see the same on hand tools, measuring devices or jigs.:icon_scra

These recommendations are better than a buyers guide!:icon_thum

maomoonshiner

New User
morgan
Hey guys. Been kinda absent lately -- I'm in Los Angeles! Couldn't find any work back in NC, so I came out here for three months. Been doing work building sets in the film industry. Have had a chance to acquire quite a few new toys, here are my two favorites:

1. Makita 10.8v impact drill
Completely great. I love this little guy...it handles a lot more than I'd expect, keeps a charge forever, and works in tight spaces very well. I've driven lag screws with it! Hows that for compact power?

2. Bosch Colt palm router
Smooth, smooth, smooth. I don't think I'll ever drag my big Freud out from under the table again, if I can help it. Great router!

Dragon

New User
David
All you guys with the fancy tools:jealous:. Wish I had a few for myself. Oh well, all things in due time. I manage to get by with a 1/4 sheet vibrator and a 3X21 belt sander and my chainsaw. Best chainsaw accessory I can recommend is a Grandberg bar-mount sharpening guide. It works better than any I've used over the last 30 or so years and is worth its weight in gold when you figure up the savings from paying someone else to grind off most of your chain teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS