Teak Double Frame

BKHam

Bradley
User
I had a two large teak boards, one of which i made into a teak jewelry box which i've posted on here.

the second, i've cut the rift sawn edges off the board and made some frames. i think they turned out pretty well.

the middle part of the frame is birdsmouthed (new word?) into the long sides. it ends up that I didnt have my saw perfectly at 45 degrees. checking one cut didn't reveal i was off. but once i cut the birdsmouth opening, it was not at 90. but....no biggie because i cut the pointy upright with the same setting. i would like to say that i planned this but i happened into it. much like a picture frame sled cuts complimentary angles, this did something similar.

used my homemade mortiser to add loose tenons for the joinery.

raking light shows off the bevels. my only mistake with the framing was not getting glare reducing glass.

20211026_085249.jpg
20211011_115237.jpg

20211023_100838.jpg

20211025_165308.jpg
Screenshot_20211014-085632_Gallery.jpg

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Nicely done Bradley.
Some of the nicest art in our house has the custom frames (IMNSHO) - and the do enhance the pieces!

Can you provide any more info as to how you cut the birdsmouth? I am assuming it was on a TS with blade tilted, but there could be other ways.

BKHam

Bradley
User
Nicely done Bradley.
Some of the nicest art in our house has the custom frames (IMNSHO) - and the do enhance the pieces!

Can you provide any more info as to how you cut the birdsmouth? I am assuming it was on a TS with blade tilted, but there could be other ways.

i tilted the blade and used a miter gauge with a stop. This allowed me to flip the piece end for end and center the cut and repeat it on the opposite piece. I made sure i had a very tight fitting backer board to prevent tear out as i was using a full kerf flat top blade to give me a clean corner. Flipping it end for end also meant the blade would exist on the show side for one of the cuts. I slowly raised the blade until it it connected in the corner.

I then raised the blade to cut one end of the birds beak. then i marked it and snuck up on fit.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors