Teacher Gifts - Cutting board finish question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Hey Folks,
Working on some teacher gifts, and was wondering if anyone had a quick and easy finishing idea for some hard maple cutting boards with walnut dice pattern. I have used shellac in the past, and also wiped on cooking oil, and was curious as to what some others generally use. Thanks..

Attachments

• cutboard 1.jpg
    cutboard 1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 172
  • cutboard 2.jpg
    cutboard 2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 207
T

toolferone

You should NOT use cooking oil as it can turn rancid!! The 2 best options are 100% pure mineral oil (not baby oil it has fragrance it it) or use walnut oil. I really like the walnut oil as it dries pretty hard and quicker then the mineral oil. There is a product called butcher bloock oil, but all it is is mineral oil.

Oh and by the way, the cutting boards a very cool!!!!!

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
toolferone thanks, the design is from a wood magazine. With the mineral oil, can I put it on with a rag? i was think of taking my pin gun and a piece of scrap 1/4" plywood and let my son shoot it with pins. (He loves the nail guns.) THen just slap on the oil with a rag and pun the back side on the pins. Would I need to do two or more coats?

T

toolferone

As with any penatrating oil, you want to apply it heavy and let the wood absorb as much as it wants in about 30 minutes. You then want to vigorously wipe off any excess and let it dry overnight. I would do 2 coats. Print up some care instructions to go with the boards telling them to wash with a little soap and very hot water. Get both side wet and dry off well. Once a month or so reapply a coat of Mineral oil to keep the board from drying out and cracking form all the soap and water.

Opps, yes a rag is fine.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Buddy I would agree with Tom on the finish. Mineral oil or Walnut oil is best. You can melt a little bees wax in it to give it a little more longevity and shine. Use a double boiler to heat the oil.
Those really are cool cutting boards. I have never seen a design like that :icon_thum Are the Walnut circles inlays or do they go all the way through???
I wouldn't worry about making any "fancy" applicator for the oil. Just pour it on a wipe it around with a paper towel. You'll probably want to make a couple applications depending on the grain orientation (end grain will soak up a lot more).
The old adage is once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and then as needed. I give a little bottle of mineral oil to folks I give cutting boards to, with a card with those instructions.
Dave:)

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Thanks guys. The walnut circles are just a walnut dowel. I bored 1" holes about 3/16 deep and trimmed the dowel pieces 3/16 heavy and sanded, and sanded, and sanded. I like the idea of giving a small card with care instructions.

cpw

New User
Charles
Hey Folks,
Working on some teacher gifts, and was wondering if anyone had a quick and easy finishing idea for some hard maple cutting boards with walnut dice pattern. I have used shellac in the past, and also wiped on cooking oil, and was curious as to what some others generally use. Thanks..

Buddy,

First of all, COOL IDEA! Nice job. As far as finish, the mineral oil is a good inexpensive option as long as you get the unscented as suggested. You can get it at WalMart, K-Mart or a pharmacy on the aisle with the laxatives. HOWEVER, I think the BEST finish is a good wiping varnish. General Finishes makes a wiping varnish that they market as Salad Bowl Finish. Too bad your Rockler store closed. They have it for $12.99/Qt.

mturi

New User
Mark
There is no doubt that mineral oil is the way to go but there is one other tip I read about maintaining cutting boards.
Oil once a day for a week, once a week for a month and once a month for a year. Include this with your gift directions.

This will keep cutting boards at their best.

NEVER PUT WOOD CUTTING BOARDS IN A DISHWASHER! Sanitize with bleach and water - Rinse well.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Some people are allergic to Walnut oil. You can get Mineral oil at CVS in the laxative section. make sure you get food grade mineral oil

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
There is no doubt that mineral oil is the way to go but there is one other tip I read about maintaining cutting boards.
Oil once a day for a week, once a week for a month and once a month for a year. Include this with your gift directions.

This will keep cutting boards at their best.

NEVER PUT WOOD CUTTING BOARDS IN A DISHWASHER! Sanitize with bleach and water - Rinse well.

I agree... There is nothing fancy required for finishing a cutting board.

Mineral Oil will not sour, turn rancid, or cause any other problems. You can get it, very reasonably, at just about any market or drug store in the Laxative dept.

After you have treated your cutting boards, you can also take a tablespoon by mouth if you ever get a little constipated... will lightly fix you up really good! :slap:

Incidently, we have had some of those light wooden bowls that appear to have been woven, where they were probably pressed into molds & trimmed... cheap bowls for salads, chips, etc. After a few months, they tend to dry out, change color, and really start looking bad... Taking a paper towel, dipping it in some Mineral Oil and wiping the bowls down with it turn them into Brand New looking bowls again!

It works on wooden knife handles too!

I keep a small dish handy with some Mineral Oil in it... whenever I need some, I just dip & wipe, etc. It will not evaporate... it stays... makes it really a no hassle item to use.

A once a month schedule, or whenever you feel like it, works good for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS