Tall case clock

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
This is a reproduction of a tall case clock built by John Townsend in 1789, the original clock resides in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. This is one of the very few tall case clocks actually signed by John Townsend. Evidently, John Townsend only signed and dated his finest work. The clock is constructed from South American Mahogany, the secondary wood is Tulip Poplar. The 18th century movement was built by David Lindow, engraving of the brass dial was done by Valdemar Skov.

I used Trimble SketchUp Pro to model the clock, using photo's available from the Met and photo's I personally took of the original clock while visiting the Met. It’s absolutely amazing just how fantastically talented 18th century furniture makers like John Townsend were.
Dimensions of the clock: 11 1/8" (d) x 22 (w) x 98 1/4" (h)

The clock was pretty challenging build.. Hope you enjoy the photos

DSC_1597.JPG
DSC_1526.JPG
DSC_1536.JPG

Last edited:

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Robert, your craftsmanship is stunningly beautiful!! Since I plan to build another clock in the not too distant future, your post is of great interest. This may sound like a strange question but is there a specific reason you sourced the movement/dial from David Lindow?

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
@drw, the state of tall case clock movements is pretty bad, one needs to source a 18th century style movement, the reason being is the width of the case is pretty narrow.

Green Lake Clock, used to import a 18th century style German movement from Kittenger, Kittenger no longer produces this movement. Add, to the mix an engraved brass face, one is left with either David Lindow or sourcing an orphaned 18th century movement that needs a complete overhaul. David Lindow builds heirloom quality movements, he is extremely hard to get bandwidth with.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Trey1984

Trey
User
This is a reproduction of a tall case clock built by John Townsend in 1789, the original clock resides in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. This is one of the very few tall case clocks actually signed by John Townsend. Evidently, John Townsend only signed and dated his finest work. The clock is constructed from South American Mahogany, the secondary wood is Tulip Poplar. The 18th century movement was built by David Lindow, engraving of the brass dial was done by Valdemar Skov.

I used Trimble SketchUp Pro to model the clock, using photo's available from the Met and photo's I personally took of the original clock while visiting the Met. It’s absolutely amazing just how fantastically talented 18th century furniture makers like John Townsend were.
Dimensions of the clock: 11 1/8" (d) x 22 (w) x 98 1/4" (h)

The clock was pretty challenging build.. Hope you enjoy the photos
Beautiful!!!! Amazing work!!!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS