Tall Case Clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

algustaf

New User
Al
Just finished this yesterday. Not mechanically operating yet, but woodwork and case are complete.
Made from 150+ year old reclaimed clear quartersawn heart of pine from an old abandoned farm house (I need to tear it down and salvage more wood).
Finished clear with General Finishes Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal semi-gloss. Very please with the finish product that this beautiful wood produced.
Plans mostly follow Norm Abram's Tall Case Clock in an arts & crafts/mission style.
Like the used car ads often state, Must see to appreciate :)

Attachments

• IMG_20140529_162727287.jpg
    IMG_20140529_162727287.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20140529_162821447.jpg
    IMG_20140529_162821447.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20140529_162859318.jpg
    IMG_20140529_162859318.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 95

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Al - beautiful work.

I must admit that to me that does not look like heart pine - but maybe you have done such a great job selecting and matching stock that I can't tell.

Well done.

Henry

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Beautiful woodwork Mr. Al. I have a nice stash of heart pine just waiting for the right project. Great inspiration. What clock works did you use? Thanks.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I REALLY like that - and as Henry said - it doesn't look like pine - it almost looks like cherry in the picture - regardless - it is BEAUTIFUL!!!

If you claim some more of the wood I wonder if you would be interested in selling some of it? I am looking for 8 to 10 2 X ?? for a benchtop and I think that would be AWESOME!!!

algustaf

New User
Al
Beautiful woodwork Mr. Al. I have a nice stash of heart pine just waiting for the right project. Great inspiration. What clock works did you use? Thanks.

Hermle 1161-853 mechanical movement. plans and parts from Clockit. Nice, fun project. Time capsule for the reclaimed heart of pine.

algustaf

New User
Al
Henry

Fortunately I was able to select from some premium stock heart of pine. All quartersawn and clear. Most beautiful pine I have ever worked. I usually paint pine, but not this. It changes color and depth similar to a quality maple, etc.IMG_20140419_222213_947.jpg This stile is about 2-2.25" wide.

Last edited:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Clean and a beaut :thumbup:

I noticed the door is narrower on the bottom then the top. I was wondering about the hinges and how they are offset. Could you take a profile pic of the hinge side with the door half open please.

algustaf

New User
Al
Clean and a beaut :thumbup:

I noticed the door is narrower on the bottom then the top. I was wondering about the hinges and how they are offset. Could you take a profile pic of the hinge side with the door half open please.

It is an illusion. The door is rectangular with square corners, the case is tapered out 2 degrees on each side. The crown at the top is plumb with the case at the bottom. This may be a better angle to view.

IMG_20140530_180756279.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors