Table frame & dowels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
My wife's grandfather built a coffee table about 30 years ago. It is a very simple design: Four metal legs and a 2'x5' top constructed of plywood covered with Formica/ laminate. It has held up well, but it's too modern of a look for my taste.

table_original_1.jpg

View image in gallery

Here's a shot of the underside, and a closeup of the date.

It has too much sentimental value to throw away, but it doesn't really work in our house. So I've decided to keep the top but replace the legs with a larger frame, and use it in the shop. The surface is pretty much impervious, so this will do great in my finishing room.

I've been itching to put my new doweling jig to use. I used it when building some shop cabinets but casework is not its strength. I had a bunch of oak lying around from past projects. Some of it has significant knots and blemishes, too much for fine furniture but perfect for a shop table frame. I glued up 3 boards to make 2" x 2" legs.

Here's a shot of the dry fit of one half of the table. I will glue the legs and short stretchers, then cover the dowel holes for the long stretchers with some tape and apply the finish. It will be a lot simpler to work with each section than trying to finish the table fully assembled.

The joints are extremely tight. Here's a closeup:

The short stretchers are joined with 6 1 1/2" dowels, the long stretchers will get 6 2" dowels. That should hold. I'll be happy if it lasts as long as the top did :)

The Jessem doweling jig is a joy to use. It's not foolproof. If you reference from the wrong face, your joint won't line up. (Yes, I know that that's the equivalent of saying the table saw won't run if it's not plugged in, but how many of us have swapped out the blade, gotten the board ready, hit the power switch, only to see the plug lying across the outfeed table?I thought as much...). But if you can get past operator stupidity, your joints will line up perfectly: Square, straight and strong. And a drill is a lot less noisy than using a router.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work, Bas!:icon_cheers

Thats going to be a nice strong table. (May be time to place another order for another 1000 dowel box from McFeelys!)

Its great that the new jig is working out for you.:icon_thum

Great recycling too!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The joinery looks really tight, and strong, Bas. How will you attach the legs to the top? Can't wait to see the finished product. :icon_thum

Bill

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
How will you attach the legs to the top?
I haven't decided yet. I could make some blocks and glue those to the legs, then screw into the top. That's how the old metal legs were attached. Or I could use some L-brackets. Not the fanciest option, but somehow fits the design. A third option would be to add a narrow apron along the long side. It wouldn't be visible, the edge of the top would conceal it. I could then use blocks or z-clips. The main reason not to do that is because I don't know how strong the edge is, it's nailed but I don't know if any glue was used.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I haven't decided yet. I could make some blocks and glue those to the legs, then screw into the top. That's how the old metal legs were attached. Or I could use some L-brackets. Not the fanciest option, but somehow fits the design. A third option would be to add a narrow apron along the long side. It wouldn't be visible, the edge of the top would conceal it. I could then use blocks or z-clips. The main reason not to do that is because I don't know how strong the edge is, it's nailed but I don't know if any glue was used.

Bas.

I have used these "figure-8" fasteners on a lot of tables with good results.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/Pr...=2236&ss=c78635c3-364c-41ee-9c55-9032ca3184fc

Just drill a mortise into the tops of the aprons (size it to fit one end of the fastener (~5/8" forstner bit), screw into the aprons. Turn everything upside down, position and add screws to secure the top. (Careful you don't use too long of screw.:BangHead:)

I used the same method on the last daughter desk I did....

100_2436.jpg

All done, easy and secure.

Wayne

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS