Table extension for bandsaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillGriz

New User
Bill
I recently bought a "HD special" bandsaw. Definitely nothing fancy but seems to work ok after bit of tweaking. Just got a resaw fence for it but I need to come up with a table extension that can be easily removed and set up. Shop space is limited (wife refuses to park the car outside and leave it there!!!).
In any case, I'm sure someone out there has come up with a good way to do this and rather than re-invent the wheel....

Any suggestions, especially those with pictures, greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Bill

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
John White did an article on "tricking out a 14" bandsaw" a couple years back in FWW. He built a rolling mobile base, with storage, and fold out support for ripping. He used the Ridgid 14" bandsaw.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Are you looking for a table that enlarges the entire original table (e.g. an overlay table) or are you simply looking to extend a specific side. For circle cutting I made a 2'x2' table that attaches to the right-hand side (what the uninitiated might call the 'front') that attaches to aluminum t-track mounted to the side of the cast iron table. The t-track is bolted to the original table with 3 bolts and the table is secured to the t-track with two 1/4"-20 bolts and t-nuts and a single removable 2x4 that serves as a support leg (essentially the table is supported at 3 points).

Although it is a bit buried at the moment, it was designed to be easily and quickly broken down and reinstalled as needed and was customized to mount my modified Carter circle-cutting jig accuaretely and repeatably.

If you want to create an overlay style table to enlarge the original table on all 3 sides, then you just need to take some 3/4" MDF cut to whatever size you wish your enlarged table to be and then mount a few blocks on the bottom side the same thickness as your cast iron table and then add a pivoting block that you can rotate into position to lock the auxilliary table to the underside of the cast iron table (or you could just use magnets, depending on what sort of forces you expect to encounter/resist). If you enlarge it enough that you need to stiffen the MDF, some 1x2 nailed/stapled around the perimeter of the MDF table will provide all the stiffening you are ever likely to need.

If you need photos, let me know -- I just don't look forward to unburrying it at the moment. :wink_smil At the moment I'm trying to focus on installing some temporary copper plumbing to distribute air from my new shop air compressor (a story in itself).

BillGriz

New User
Bill
Ethan, Bruce,
Thanks for the responses.
Guess I coulda been a little clearer on what I was looking for. I'm looking for an extension just to on side so I can resaw some logs. I've got some oak logs that I want to cut into some stock for spindles. The overlay is something I will probably do on down the road but not for awhile.

I'll have to check out the article in FWW. Can probably get some good tips for a bandsaw newbie.
Thanks again.
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS