SYP for Workbench build? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
All the advice you've gotten is very good. You might want to also check with Scott Smith and Jack in Rolesville (saw4you). He runs a sawmill up there and often has wood cheap.

Let both of them know what you want to build and ask what their suggestion would be based on what they have on hand. PM or call either or both of them. You might find a real deal.

And the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville will have very fine wood in whatever species you decide - their prices are available on their website - just click on their ad on the right hand side of most pages here.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I built my bench from SYP from the BORG. 2x8's ripped in half then face glued. Total bench lumber cost was $75 or so.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
As you are considering SYP options, before abandoning the BORGs, give consideration to the 5/4 x4" x 8' appearance boards stocked at Lowes. I just laminated 12 of them and I am pleased with the result (12 laminations tends to stabilize even the most finicky of BORG lumber). After initial planing, I've only lost about 1/16 off the initial 3.5" thickness (another 1/16 to get it perfect I figure).

I'll post a separate thread on where I am with this workbench top idea sometime next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS