SYP for Workbench build? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob.nester

New User
Rob
Winning the hold-fasts and the bench dogs at the picnic this weekend was sufficient indication that the fates want me to get started building my workbench.

I'm thinking a 2' x 7' bench, about 33-34" tall.

I've read through Christopher Schwarz's books on workbenches and, as much as I'd love to have a huge slab of maple, or beech or something exotic like some of you folks have, I'm unable to

• Handle a full slab piece the size of the top that I want, and
  • Afford it.

Schwarz seems to suggest that at 3" or more thick, almost any wood will work for the workbench top. He even mentions that SYP can be a viable option for the top (I want to go about 3.5" thick x 1.5" wide x 7' long, and glue up a bunch for a top).

I've been pricing the big box places for #2 grade, and Capitol Lumber for #1 grade and both seem to be in my budget. My questions are:

1. Is there anywhere else around Raleigh that I should check out as a source for SYP?
  2. Is there some other wood I should consider that won't break my budget too badly but would give me a big upgrade over using SYP?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
We didn't get to finish talking Rob -
I think you will find your SYP choice a good one...

As far as other places to look... eh, not for me to help you there. (I think there was a post some time back that 84 lumber had a surplus and was selling it very reasonable - but 1. I can't find it and 2. it was a while ago...)

Since you are in Holly springs you might check with Scott Smith to see what he has (and suggests) remember, the company is quartersawn Oak, but you WILL find other species there!!!

Now for the better news - I am will at GREAT risk to my person and status in life to take those gently used (they are used since they already have so many miles on them) holdfasts off your hands because that would UN burden you from the feeling that the universe is conspiring against you!

:rotflm:

Just trying to be helpful!!!

Hey, seriously - I a REALLY glad you won them, because if that give you the drive to get the bench done and you shop up to speed - in a word - PERFECT!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you can't find 2x4 SYP, look at their 2 x 8s. Often times you can find stock that is center cut and rip it down for quarter sawn wood.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
If you can't find 2x4 SYP, look at their 2 x 8s. Often times you can find stock that is center cut and rip it down for quarter sawn wood.

This is an excellent option if you have the means to rip, then surface the 2x8's. You'll get a better choice of boards, plus you'll come out a little cheaper.

http://hardwoodstore.com/

used their syp and have no regrets at all, they also deliver

Last year I bought a bunch of SYP from The Hardwood Store and was very satisfied.

As for SYP for workbenches, I think it is an excellent choice. I have one counter top out of 2 by's and it is extremely durable. A lot of people shy away from it because it isn't a "hardwood", but don't let that stop you. Very strong!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
A lot of people shy away from it because it isn't a "hardwood", but don't let that stop you. Very strong!

As bill said,it isn't a "Hardwood"

But - it is hard... wood... :icon_scra

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Hey robgreat choice. Thats what my Bench is made of. Send me an email and I can send you some pics if you want.....or just stop by and have a look.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rob,
Now that I think about it - you might be interested in this type of bench;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKI4aQtIRlg

I DO have a massive slab that I am going to make my bench from.
I had intended to simply use the "H" frames that I have my current bench on now and correct the height and upgrade my bench top...

BUT, what if I move?

We saw these benches at WIA (Will was right across from our booth) and I went over after he had them set-up and they were REALLY sturdy! The big advantage? they DO knock-down in manageable pieces.

I have suggested we use the base in the Outreach trailer for the bench top we currently have!

rob.nester

New User
Rob
Rob,
Now that I think about it - you might be interested in this type of bench;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKI4aQtIRlg
Holy... crap...

I DO have a massive slab that I am going to make my bench from.
I had intended to simply use the "H" frames that I have my current bench on now and correct the height and upgrade my bench top...

BUT, what if I move?

We saw these benches at WIA (Will was right across from our booth) and I went over after he had them set-up and they were REALLY sturdy! The big advantage? they DO knock-down in manageable pieces.

I have suggested we use the base in the Outreach trailer for the bench top we currently have!

Slabs sound awesome, but I don't know if my little dewalt tablesaw could handle it (plus I don't know how eager Ariana would be to help me slog it across the saw either...)

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Having been a draftsman long ago in a galaxy far away, I start all my projects on the drawing board. No I don't use sketchup just T-square, triangles & pencil. All that said I've been designing and redesigning a work bench for several years. I have acquired a big stack of construction grade 2by pine lumber. I've been concerned about the softness of pine. My latest idea was to build the bench out of pine and put tempered hardboard as a top. The big advantage here is the Masonite can be screwed on the bench and replaced if gets too damaged.

Now, I'm rethinking this plan. From what I've just saw in your post standard old pine works just fine. Is that what you folks said?

Pop

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Now, I'm rethinking this plan. From what I've just saw in your post standard old pine works just fine. Is that what you folks said?

I'm not speaking for all of the folks here, just my take on the topic.

You'll be okay with your stash of 2x pine lumber and keeping it cheap and simple is okay. Not too hard and not too soft...just right. Customize your bench as you wish.

Here's mine made from DF in 2008. 60" l x 26" w x 37.5" h. I haven't babied it either.

Planing_Beam_Face_Clamps.jpg

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Rob,

We had a short visit at the picnic.

If you need any help milling the stock you are welcome to bring the material to my shop an we can do it.
I have a 15" planer and a 12" jointer. Plus I am just up the road from you near Lake Wheeler.

Most anytime in the next 4 weeks works for me. After that I will be out of commission for a few weeks with a total knee replacement.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
One suggestion on using SYP try and find all or mostly all heartwood, hardwood is harder than sapwood. Doug fir is a better choice and is usually in wider boards at lumber yards.

Do yourself a big favor and ensure whatever you use has been kiln dried. Most construction grade lumber is not kiln dried and if it was not to a moisture content suitable for a wide glue up like a bench top. Even if it was kiln dried, if its stored outside under a lean to its still going to be to moist for a wide glue up. Just saying... You could always pick out your lumber and stick it under a tarp with a dehumidifier to bring the moisture content down to a suitable level then mill it. Wet SPF (spruce pine fir) does some strange things when it dries so dont be surprised if some of your beautiful hand chosen boards twist up like pretzels and crack and split like popcorn in a cast iron skillet.

Just a FYI... A 2x4 actually comes off the sawmill a real 2x4 but after it dries and they mill it it winds up to be 1 1/2 x 3 1/2. And look at the 2x4s in a bunk and the store and see how many wane ridden twisted sisters you see that should tell you something right there and speak to you about how much SPF moves around even after dried and milled.

When my wife wanted new kitchen cabinets "out of pine" I tried to talk her out of it and into maple BTW but I failed :( I had Jack Murdock (saw4you) sawmill and kiln dry all the pine for the cabinets. Jack did me right with some really nice SYP that was properly kiln dried, bug killed and pitch set. I helped FredP build my wife's new kitchen cabinets and I think we all were surprised i believe even FredP was with the outcome. I learned a ton working with FredP and about using SYP in cabinet construction.

Maybe the Fountain of Youth isn't a fountain at all. Maybe it's a way of looking at things. A way of thinking.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Use whatever you can get that is cheap, straight and dry. Personally, I'd prefer knot-free as well, but that is not really required either.

So "no" to #2 - there is not another wood that will give you a big advantage other than, possibly, price. If you watch here and CL, you may find something really cheap. I have bought maple and poplar for $1/ft...both I found through this site.

Somebody else mentioned douglass fir - that is just a bit softer than SYP (620 vs 690), but be aware that all of these are soft compared to most of the woods we commonly use for furniture (typically 900-1500). That's not necessarily a bad thing - when you drop that beautifully inlayed cherry drawer front onto your workbench, which would you prefer come away with the dent? I wish my bench was softer for that reason. I used red oak because I got a ton of it dirt cheap (<$1/bdft). There are a lot of reasons not to use red oak, but I'm still mostly happy with it. It's just a workbench, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS