symposium tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
sorry if there is a similar thread. I will be at the woodturning symposium tomorrow. I will be wearing a March of Dimes cap and in Mike Stafford's class for the 1st rotation. let me know if anyone else is there.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I so wanted to go to that!

But, I'm in bed with a sinus infection and the flu. Don't think you would want spreading germs.

Have fun!

M

McRabbet

Scott and I are here -- live from the Greensboro Coliseum -- come see us in the Vendor area, just to the right from the entrance! Several members have stopped by already, including Gary!

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Lots of "Eye Candy" in the Vendor Sales area for people that have slipped down the slippery slope of the lathe. Some good buys. Lots of resistance needed to keep the plastic in the pocket.

I attended two 1 1/2 hour sessions with Jimmy Clews. Very good turner/demostrator with no visible ego.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I had hoped to attend, but now I think I'll just be staying around here. Jimmy Clewes DVD's are the best I've seen for turning (and I've seen a LOT!) ... was REALLY looking forward to attending a class with him. Maybe another time... oh well.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
Had a good time at the symposium yesterday. Sorry I forgot my hat so you could id me. Thanks to the guys working the table. Went to a Mike Stafford box class and the Jimmy Clewes goblet class. Hope everyone else that gets to go enjoys it.

Oh yeah, a couple of pieces of wood followed me home!!

sasjzl

New User
Jim
I am really enjoying the Symposium. Did John Jordan, Hollow Form and carving yesterday and did Stuart Batty "6 Fundamental cuts", Jimmy Clewes "Lidded Box silver insert", M. Gardner "Surface embellishments" and finally Alan Batty "Skew Chisel Work". Alan Batty has my vote for most engaging demonstrator. I could watch and listen to him all day. A genuine raconteur.

If you went to any one of those sessions I would love to compare notes with you.

Tomorrow I am hoping to do
Stuart Batty - Thin-walled Bowl - Negative Rake
Stuart Batty - Long-stem Goblet
Stuart Mortimer - Twisting Hollow Form

My first Symposium and it is like being immersed in an ocean of Woodturning knowledge. I feel like I am at the beach soaking up all the sun I can. I was taking notes but finally figured it would be better to give my full attention to all the sights and sounds without breaking it up for my chicken scratching which I may not be able to read tomorrow anyway.

It is very encouraging to see what it is possible to do with experience. Sometimes though it is like watching magicians. At least I now have witnessed what can be done in person.

Thanks,
Jim Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS