Sycamore

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
You betcha! I've got a load coming out of the kiln on Friday, so I'll be able to sticker and slide the sycamore right in.

See you Saturday am.

Scott

Touchwood

New User
Don
You betcha! I've got a load coming out of the kiln on Friday, so I'll be able to sticker and slide the sycamore right in.

See you Saturday am.

Scott

Scott,

I put some finish on a couple of the 8/4 boards I got from Jeff. The grain patterns and colors are phenominal. So here's another candidate for pairing up with the post oak..it would be a nice contrast and the darker colors are pretty close to the oak. So many choices..I love it!:)

Jeff...even if there's no 8/4 in this batch, I can't pass up this wood in 4/4 either so save 50-100 BF for me please. ..mostly QS if possible.

Don

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
Don,

What did you use as a finish on the sycamore? Any photos?

I'd be interested in any photos that you have of it.

Scott, I saw your pile of sycamore today when I picked up some from Jeff for myself. Looks like a good stash.

-Kevin

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Don, I'll set aside a few sycamore boards for the EC from the ones that Jeff has sawn for me.

Kevin, looks like I need to get in high gear on my old farmhouse remodeling project so that I'll have a place to install that sycamore once it comes out of the kiln. I plan on making 6" v-groove tongue and groove boards from it to use on the upstairs cathedral ceiling.

Scott

J

jeff...

I'm going to go pick up a few more big sycamore butts this weekend, I ran out of sycamore big enough to QS. It's a sad day when you don't have any sycamore left to QS.:crybaby2:

What's odd I've made lumber out of quite a few different kinds of trees, give me a big ole sycamore and a little extra time to study how to slice it and I'm one happy camper...

The more I saw em the more I'm learning how to pull the ray flake out them. I'm discovering it's a little more involved than just quartering the log and sawing out boards. I have yet to see a sycamore with round growth rings, they are more like a loosely formed oval. If you just split the log down the center, it's a crap shoot if you'll pull the flake. Even if you line up the blade perfectly perpendicular to the growth ring oval and saw down through the pith you may end up a 1/2 board or maybe even up to two boards off from finding the flake. The closer you can get the grain line up 90 degrees with the face the more brilliant the flake will be. It's much more challenging than QS'ing something like oak which is pretty easy to pull the flake. Oak is very forgiving, you can still be in the flake with the grain running down to as little as 60 degrees from the face. Sycamore on the other hand is not near as forgiving, the flake seems to want to disappear somewhere around 75 degrees. Another difference is the wider the growth rings the wider the flake, this the exact opposite of oak. It's tightly space growth rings in oak that produces bigger flake. I know Blah Blah Blah... simple minds are amused easily aren't they?. But the truth of the matter is I just need more big Sycamore logs to play with :cry:

cskipper

Cathy
It's early and I'm sleepy - but is there QS KD sycamore available? If so I would like to claim some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS