surface rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbaileyjr

New User
Paul
I would like suggestions on how to prevent or slow the accumulation of surface rust on my equipment, ie jointer, bandsaw, table saw, etc. My shop is my garage, unheated and uninsulated.
I've used paste wax a number of times on the unpainted surfaces but it only protects for a week or so, even if the equipment is unused.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Myriad methods abound.

One that I like is using a cover. I use towels, bedsheets or fancy aftermarket form fitting covers.

Keeps one of the issues at bay, settling dust. Wood dust settles, then absorbs ambient moisture and you have yourself the perfect setup for rust.

I use wax, but only for lubrication. For rust, if its a long term storage, automatic transmission fluid or WD-40.

Jim

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Myriad methods abound.

One that I like is using a cover. I use towels, bedsheets or fancy aftermarket form fitting covers.

Keeps one of the issues at bay, settling dust. Wood dust settles, then absorbs ambient moisture and you have yourself the perfect setup for rust.

I use wax, but only for lubrication. For rust, if its a long term storage, automatic transmission fluid or WD-40.

Jim

+1 I keep my big Sled on my TS !

M

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Myriad methods abound.

Jim

+2: I have found that a cover that breathes is much better than plastic, etc, which traps condensation under it.

Go

4yanks

New User
Willie
+1 on Boeshield. I used it once on my cast iron surfaces years ago. After that I only waxed them occasionally. No more rust. A note of warning though it turned all my iron surfaces a dull gray. At the time I was alarmed because I hoped to return all the surfaces to a like new appearance. While its not pretty the trade-off has been worth it.

Woodburner

New User
Mike
I recommend products that incorporate VpCI (vapor phase corrosion inhibitor) technology:
http://www.cortecvci.com/Products/single.php?code=10325

Professionally, I use it to protect metals after exposures to corrosive smoke or water. I tried it on my table saw and jointer several years ago and was amazed at the results... not a bit of rust even if it was covered in sawdust and sitting in an uncontrolled environment for over a year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS