Surface Oxidation on Wood Species

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I have three small projects going now that involve SYP, red oak, and poplar. I know that the SYP will oxidize and lend some nice color to the wood before finishing, but have not noticed the effects of sunshine on red oad and poplar. The pieces are already sanded to their final finish so I won't take off any of the "patina" before finishing.

Anyone have any experience with allowing the sun to oxidize oak or poplar? My guess is that neither will oxidize like the SYP.

This is just an experiment that may not be worthwhile, but you never know until you try. Thanks for any feedback or advice.

J

jeff...

All three are best for indoor use - I would not recommend unfinished or exposed SYP / Poplar or Red Oak for outdoor use. Best native woods for outdoor use are the heart woods of Black Locust / White Oak and Cypress but not honey locust which is also subject to decay. Eastern Red Cedar is ok but likes to split easy unless special precautions are taken like blunting your nail tips and avoiding cross grain gluing which is a guaranteed split in a couple of months. Even the native species for outdoor use need to be finished with a good outdoor finish, that is unless you like the gray look...

Just my 2 cents worth so take it for what it's worth... about all of 2 cents.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
All three are best for indoor use - I would not recommend unfinished or exposed SYP / Poplar or Red Oak for outdoor use. Best native woods for outdoor use are the heart woods of Black Locust / White Oak and Cypress but not honey locust which is also subject to decay. Eastern Red Cedar is ok but likes to split easy unless special precautions are taken like blunting your nail tips and avoiding cross grain gluing which is a guaranteed split in a couple of months. Even the native species for outdoor use need to be finished with a good outdoor finish, that is unless you like the gray look...

Just my 2 cents worth so take it for what it's worth... about all of 2 cents.

Jeff, I don't think that he is wanting to let it suntan for that long :eek:
I believe he is asking would a suntanning have the effect like it does on Cherry on either the Oak or Poplar.
IMO I have not seen that effect, and I have only really seen it on old growth (heart pine) SYP and that is due to the resin content darkening.

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors