Support our troops with Project Rudolph-Project TLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
I read this post from another site. I contacted the authors and they gave me permission to share, and are sending me a 21 page PDF file with more details too. I wondered if it would be okay to post the following in the Scroll Saw forum?

Hi fellow Scrollers,
I am looking for some help. Our family has a charity called "Project Rudolph" which began 2 years ago as my son's Eagle Scout project. Various grade school children decorated brown paper lunch bags and wrote letters to "Dear service member". In each bag was placed two children's letters, a letter from an adult as well as a candy cane some American and German candies and an ornament. These bags were then sent to our daughter who lives just outside Ramstein AFB, and Landstuhle Regional Medical Center in Germany. There, they were handed out to service members going through Ramstien during the Christmas holidays. Our son flew over to help assemble and hand out the bags. About 1500 bags were handed out at the Air Force base as well as to the Hospital at Landstuhle, to the Fisher house, and the Keeler Recovery Barracks. They also sent about 250 bags to Iraq and Kuwait. This continued the 2nd year and we were able to deliver about 4500 bags to Germany, Iraq, and Kuwait. My daughter has upped the ante to 7000 bags this year!

We found that the most popular of the ornaments were the ones I cut out of 1/4" plywood and then painted and decorated.They fit easily into their ACU pockets and were quite durable. This is where I need your help. We are hoping to have all "Hand Made" ornaments this year, which means we need volunteers to help cut them out so they can be sent to Germany and added to the decorated bags. We also need all the letters we can get !! 22,000 of them!!!!

If you can help us , please let us know. "Project Rudolph" is part of "Project TLC " and is a non-profit 501 (c) (3) charity which is sanctioned by "America Supports You". You can read more about Project Rudolph at Home. When there, take a minute and read the responses in the "Guest Book" from the people who either helped with the project, or were recipients of the Gift bags.

This is a great project for crafters of all kinds to be involved in, as well as church groups, scout groups, schools,and such. Please help spread some Christmas cheer to our service men and women this Christmas!!

We look forward to hearing from you.
Ray & Cheri Archibald

Hopefully everyone noticed that they love letters, especially from children. This could be one way you folks who are not fortunate enough to scroll can help out. The Archibald's sent me a PDF file that goes into more detail that I'll be glad to share. If you want a copy of that file, please send me a pm.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Cathy a great sounding cause. I am glad you shared it. If you are thinking that the NCWW combine our efforts, then count me in. If not then I will donate some on my own.

cskipper

Cathy
Thanks folks. I don't know if we could make this an NCWW project or not. If so, not really sure who has time to coordinate it. At a minimum, those of us who do participate could include that we're part of the NCWW group.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Cathy
Let us know when you get the information I would like to see if I can help make a few ornaments. Thanks for posting:notworthy:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Cathy, I got a bunch of hand-made Christmas ornaments on-hand. I picked the "yard sale" WalnutJerry organized for NCWW'ers in Salisbury. There are wreaths, snowmen, candles, and Christmas trees. I have a total of 28 ornaments.

The box included the patterns for all the ornaments above, plus a pattern for an angel ornament.

Send me an address or a Pony Express drop point! Let me know if anyone wants the patterns, as well.

Hook

New User
Gregory
I'll have to ask my daughter to pick out some ornaments from the Tom Zieg book I have.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Cathy,

I'm sure that many of us would like to participate in this very worthy cause. Maybe Steve Coles would put the PDF up on this site for you so we could all access it? If not, Cathy could you please e-mail me a copy? I have made a lot of scrollsaw ornaments in the past and would like to make some for this very worthwhile cause. How about it gang? If every scrollsaw owner in this group each makes just 10 ornaments, we could likely produce 1000 or more between us.

Charley

cskipper

Cathy
Cathy,

I'm sure that many of us would like to participate in this very worthy cause. Maybe Steve Coles would put the PDF up on this site for you so we could all access it? If not, Cathy could you please e-mail me a copy? I have made a lot of scrollsaw ornaments in the past and would like to make some for this very worthwhile cause. How about it gang? If every scrollsaw owner in this group each makes just 10 ornaments, we could likely produce 1000 or more between us.

Charley

Please pm me your email addy.
Cathy

cskipper

Cathy
Cathy, I got a bunch of hand-made Christmas ornaments on-hand. I picked the "yard sale" WalnutJerry organized for NCWW'ers in Salisbury. There are wreaths, snowmen, candles, and Christmas trees. I have a total of 28 ornaments.

The box included the patterns for all the ornaments above, plus a pattern for an angel ornament.

Send me an address or a Pony Express drop point! Let me know if anyone wants the patterns, as well.

Tom,
I'd like copies of the patterns. Sned me a pm with your email and I'll send you the file. It's got several addresses. I will probably help collect and mail ornaments, etc...

clawofthebear

New User
Tony
Sorry, little late to the party... Are there certain patterns they want cut or is it just a random ornament sort of thing? Either way let me know, I am sure between Janet and I we could cut a few to send. With everything we've had going on the past few weeks, I have really neglected my saw time. I can't think of a better excuse to get back to it.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick

Tom
Can you post the patterns or send me a copy?
Thanks

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
IMG_1941.jpg
IMG_1940.jpg
IMG_1938.jpg

Can you use these pics for patterns? This is what I meant by having the patterns. Sorry if I misspoke.

Hook

New User
Gregory
I have a dozen ornaments cut out, but not in a position to be painted. They already have an oil based clear coat on them. Pattern came from sawduster (aka: Robert). I was planning on selling them at the show in November but this seems to be a better place for them, besides, I can always make more ornaments if I'm feeling pressured to have more stock. Let me know how to go about getting them to whomever they need to get to.

cskipper

Cathy
Greg, the ornaments do not have to be painted. Some folks want to paint some, some won't (including me).

Tom, the more solid ones would work. I think the originators wanted them to be sturdy enough to be carried in a pocket. I don't know if that's likely, but this is the project's third year so I am not going to second guess them. Simple designs are great, which will make stack cutting easier.

I put the file in the Download Library. It contains a lot of good information about getting folks involved, and how your participation will make the difference to the brave men and women who are serving our country.

The only thing missing in the file is dates. I spoke with Mrs. Archibald (the mom of the soldier who initiated this). She said that the dates vary, depending on what is being sent. I think we should aim for Veteran's Day which is 11/11.

I'm exacted and I appreciate everyone who gets involved in this.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Cathy,

Still waiting on that PDF file. I responded with a PM containing my e-mail address as you requested. Are you waiting to batch mail it to other members?

Charley

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Cathy,

I was able to download the file OK but have been having Internet problems ever since. Road Runner has been going down almost every day, but when the service guys show up it's working fine. Yesterday I wasn't able to use it at all, and I've found out that I'm not the only one having trouble. The whole neighborhood is having problems. I sure hope they can fix it soon.

Charley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS