[Suggestion-Main Site] I found a small glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am confused by the whole buddy/friend thing in general. What does it do besides insult you ("AndyBarnhart has no friends")? I was going to add a couple of folks, but the system tells me they don't have any friends either

Ncdawgs1882

New User
Jonathan
Andy your on my friends list!!:gar-Bi

I am confused by the whole buddy/friend thing in general. What does it do besides insult you ("AndyBarnhart has no friends")? I was going to add a couple of folks, but the system tells me they don't have any friends either

CarvedTones

Andy
I was mostly joking, but I don't know what the feature does and the few lists I have looked at all are empty like yours:

ncdawgsfriends.jpg

I see the same thing for DaveO, SawDuster and cskipper. Those are some I looked at because I figured if they were likely to have several if the feature is used.

M

McRabbet

You can add Buddys and Friends in your profile. Go to User Settings in the Sliding Menu (or User Settings in the top menu Bar) and click on Edit your profile. Then click on Contacts & Friends. Contacts = Buddies; Friends be friends.

CarvedTones

Andy
You can add Buddys and Friends in your profile. Go to User Settings in the Sliding Menu (or User Settings in the top menu Bar) and click on Edit your profile. Then click on Contacts & Friends. Contacts = Buddies; Friends be friends.

OK, but what does it do?
Your friend list also appears empty. I am not picking on you; I just wonder what the feature does and if anyone uses it.

M

McRabbet

I had not used the Friends feature before (it is new with this release that Steve has just put up on the system), but it goes one step further than the Buddy list -- it notifies your friend by PM when you submit the request and they must confirm it to add tem to the list. Buddies are anonymous. I have added two friends to my list this morning since we exchange off-forum emails on dust collection, but they won't show up on my list until they confirm.

In all honesty, I don't know of anyone on this site that isn't a Buddy or a Friend!

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Guys, let me fix a few more bugs and then I'll try to explain what that is all about. But for now think pf friends as the replacement for Buddies. The unfortunate choice of phrasing by vbulletin is something that's easily changed.

CarvedTones

Andy
Sorry; I didn't realize it was new. I only started looking at after reading this post.

Yes, every one on this site is pretty friendly but I definitely find there are some kindred spirits I communicate well with and others that are polite, but don't seem to interested in cultivating a friendship with a penny pinching wood butcher that has an oddball sense of humor. :rolf:

BTW, I just noticed that I do have a little link "Notification" that says I have a friend request, but it did not send me a PM/email and I didn't get a message box popping up like I do for a PM.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Sorry; I didn't realize it was new. I only started looking at after reading this post.

Yes, every one on this site is pretty friendly but I definitely find there are some kindred spirits I communicate well with and others that are polite, but don't seem to interested in cultivating a friendship with a penny pinching wood butcher that has an oddball sense of humor. :rolf:

BTW, I just noticed that I do have a little link "Notification" that says I have a friend request, but it did not send me a PM/email and I didn't get a message box popping up like I do for a PM.
Andy or anyone else, please send me a friend request so I can how this is supposed to work. Thanks

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Ok, the buddy list has been renamed the Contacts & Friends List:tongue2: The link now works. But there is no indication of which is which. I'll make that change later.

Both Friends and contacts in the on line users block are marked with a "+" Again, I'll change that display to, so that you can differmtiate between contacts and friens.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I was mostly joking, but I don't know what the feature does and the few lists I have looked at all are empty like yours:

ncdawgsfriends.jpg

I see the same thing for DaveO, SawDuster and cskipper. Those are some I looked at because I figured if they were likely to have several if the feature is used.

Everybody here is my friend, even if I haven't met you yet. I don't need a list, this ain't Myspace :roll::roll::roll:

Dave:)

CarvedTones

Andy
Everybody here is my friend, even if I haven't met you yet. I don't need a list, this ain't Myspace :roll::roll::roll:

Dave:)

I wasn't trying to pick on you. I just figured if it was a part of the site that had a lot of benefit, you would be using it.:icon_thum You can't meet SawDuster and not like him, so I checked his also. :wink_smil Then I checked cskipper to show I am not sexist. :icon_scra Anybody buying all of that? :wrolleyes:

Just seemed like a reasonable cross section.

There are a handful of people I communicate with most and I probably will add them to get the quick PM feature.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
The original reported problem of page not found has been fixed. The wording is changed to contacts becuase that is the new name for buddylist functionality. Friends have been disable.

So I consider this one fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors