[Suggestion-Classifieds] cleaning up the classifieds

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
As I look through the classifieds I have noticed that some are just left up after the items are gone. Alot of them are from people that only became members to post tools and never came back.

I was wondering what the policy is on term of classifieds, are there time limits or do they stay up until the poster removes them. Less junk in the classifieds make it easier to cruise the ads.

I'm not complaining, just wondering what the rules for posting, and keeping them up, are.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I think there should be a posting fee for classifieds for users that have not been registered for x days or something. Help pay for the site and the usage they get since they are not contributing to the content.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I'm bringing this up again, because the sander and DC on the main page have already been sold, as have a bunch of other things in the classifieds.

As far as the sander and DC goes, this member joined to post in the classifieds and that's it, he should at least have the decency to clean up his mess after he makes it:no:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
My thoughts are to require the selling member to edit his ad in some manner WHEN the product is sold. Can this be done? I am not sure, but I will put it before the other staff members this coming weekend.:dontknow::dontknow:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Tracy,

Thank you, It's depressing going through the classifieds and trying to figure out what's still for sale and what's not.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I've brought this same issue up before as a possible bug in the software because things never "unlist" based on the timeframe shown when making the ad. I think it's reasonable to not let brand new members post for "x" days to avoid the post & run. I too recognize several products still listed that I know for a fact are sold. I vote we clear all classifieds out and start again with some better rules.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think it's reasonable to not let brand new members post for "x" days to avoid the post & run.
I don't see any issue with having people join exclusively for the purpose of selling tools. It benefits our members. I agree that cleanup is a problem though. A simple enhancement would be for the buyer to report "I bought it". Ideally, we'd have an enhancements to the Classifieds module for that, but just posting it on the help desk forum will suffice. The local friendly administrator can then delete the ad. Combined with an expiration policy (Scott is working on this) we should be able to clean this up nicely.

M

McRabbet

I can edit the Policy Statement and add a mandatory expiration of sixty days for all ads and a reminder that Sellers should delete ads when items are sold. I agree with Bas that new members should be able to post ads as it benefits the membership, but they may not be as diligent for follow-up as DQ members. I will present a draft at the Board of Directors meeting on Sunday.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Now don't get my statement wrong, new members can post ads. My recommendation that they may have to wait a day, or two, to avoid the post & run scenario. Most that have done that already I have seen the exact same ad on Craigslist so they aren't doing any real favors. But a person who signs up and has to wait a day or two, now has to actually come back at least one more time (which means they actually remember their username and password) to make the post.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeremy, your point is well taken. There is a board meeting on Sunday and classified policies is one of the scheduled topics. I hope by Monday we will have a firm plan. Thank you.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Guys we are going to be changing Classifieds software shortly. Let's see how that works and then we'll go from there as to what is the right way to clean up. As far as the other items, we'll be talking about that on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS