Such a thing as a quiet(er) air compressor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
You may want to check out the compressors built for dental clinics---------extremely quiet, quick recovery time, automatic moisture spin out. Not sure how many companies build compressors to the clinical standards but they are EXPENSIVE!!

Jerry

PS I had one at one time and I think the name on it was Coplematic.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
HF compressors are primarily oil lube. I was eyeing their 3hp 20 gallon vertical unit last time I was in there. I think it was $160. It will run on 120V but just about requires a dedicated circuit. Mostly I use nail guns which do not use much air and occasionally an impact wrench but a tank will give me the air to take a nut off with it. I also spray with a Wagner HVLP conversion gun, however, and my little 1.5hp Bostitch with a 6 gallon tank will do it but only barely. And it is noisy.

HF stuff is not high end by any stretch and sometimes you get a lemon but the one near me is very good about taking stuff back for a swap. If you want a small oil lube it could be an option. In addition to the one I mention above, they had smaller units that were still oil lube. You could get a smaller one for $100 or less that would run nailers just fine.

Jim

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks for posting this Jeremy!

It's made me evaluate why I maintain and tolerate the noise, mess, footprint of a big compressor. I use it to power a nailgun (which is not very often!) for filling tires, HVLP gun use (very rarely) and general blowing/cleaning dust out of equipment and off me.

I saw re-fillable CO2 tanks for Paintball guns mentioned somewhere in the last month to power nail guns and thought that would be good if I did roofing or worked in some remote location but blew it off. Probably more expensive than a small compressor over the long run if you use it a lot but for someone needing sporadic, small volume compressed gas this may be an option. (gives you a great excuse to get into Paintball too!!!) Leaky nailguns were the big negative. Short hose runs (hooks to your belt), silent, very small, no extra 220 volt lines, totally clean and dry sound good to me!

Come to think of it, if you have a welding (or NASCAR) connection, large bottles of Nitogen may not be too much of a stretch. We use them in the hospital OR to power saws, drills, ratchets, etc. NASCAR teams fill their tires and run their impact wrenches off of them. Lot's of CFMs go through those things!

Forget about the big compressor and get a Rotex!

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I had forgot about those pocket jet packs. I had seen them at Woodcraft a while back ... gonna have to look them up. Wonder if that would power the pneumatic clamps on the MultiRouter? Worth a look. The air cartridges are fairly cheap ($6, I think)

thrytis

New User
Eric
I have the Makita MAC700. I've used it in the room directly under my daughter's room without waking her up and didn't annoy my wife watching television in the next room. You're welcome to stop by and listen to it running if you want to judge for yourself.

fdfrye

New User
Danny Frye
X2 about the small C02 paintball tanks. I read the same article. It must have been in fine woodworking or something. I don't recall the exact stat, but it was impressive. Something like you can fire hundreds of brads on a tank, and it costs like $5 to refill the tank at a hobby shop. The best part it, you can clip the tank to you belt and have a little coil system for your guns. So you are complete mobile around the shop. As for regular compressors. I just bought the PC pancake from a friend of mine who said it was way too loud. I also bought the brad nailer but let him keep the rest. He used the money to buy a 1 gallon Senco. He read tons of reviews and said it was rated one of the best for noise. He brought it over and I gave a listen. In my opinion...I hate when those things refill. I like something small enough to empty and quickly fill for the next time I need it so <10 gallons, but I also would like to fill it once, finish the job of the day, then dump the air if I can. That 1 gallon Senco refilled after about 10 brads. I was not impressed. It was ~50% as loud though...

RayH

New User
Ray
:help:Anyone have a Raleigh area retail source for the 2 Makita compressors (700 and 2400) discussed in this thread? After reading all the reviews noting shipping damage, it might be worth a couple of $$ to buy local retail.

Thanks,
Ray

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Well, after being reminded of it in this thread, I decided to take the low cost, low noise route and placed an order for the Jac Pac. It uses a paintball CO2 tank and will do most of what I want now ... I hope. Plus it is quiet -- which I really want and doesn't take any more floor space (which I don't have). I will let you know how it turns out.

jacpac-portable-compressed-co2-pneumatic-regulator-kit-2.png

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I've purchased from CPO one time. Nothing fancy about it ... but I got what I ordered in good condition with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS