Strange Wood type

Status
Not open for further replies.

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
I was called by a cousin and told the tree trimmers who work for Duke Power was working on their rd, so i went and got me some firewood for next year. I grabbed this one piece and a sharp pain come over me. What type of tree has thorns growing off of it? 6" long thorns. Would have taken a pic, but the wood splitter had other ideas.

P.S. I knocked off the thorns b4 splitting. It was a harder wood.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Sounds like it may be locust. Did it have bean pods on it? 6" sounds a little long for locust thorns.

Jerry

J

jeff...

Yep locust... did the heart wood look like this?

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=966

Strange question but if you have a black light - shine it on the heart wood if it glows in the dark it's black locust if not it's more than likely honey locust.
The black light is the only way I know to tell the two apart that and black locust oozes a yellow green goo when you cut it.

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If it's Honey Locust (Gleditsia tricanthos) it will have long three pronged thorns (tri = three, canthos = thorn).
If it is Black Locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) it will have much shorter thorns and a much darker bark.
Both with have bean-pod like seed pods. Black's will be much thicker, than Honey.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

If it's Honey Locust (Gleditsia tricanthos) it will have long three pronged thorns (tri = three, canthos = thorn).
If it is Black Locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) it will have much shorter thorns and a much darker bark.
Both with have bean-pod like seed pods. Black's will be much thicker, than Honey.
Dave:)

Dave when's the book hitting the publisher? Geeze this guy is smart :bcool:

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Yep locust... did the heart wood look like this?

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=966

Strange question but if you have a black light - shine it on the heart wood if it glows in the dark it's black locust if not it's more than likely honey locust.
The black light is the only way I know to tell the two apart that and black locust oozes a yellow green goo when you cut it.

Thanks

the honey locust has clusters of thorns and the black locust has long singular thorns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS