Store near Greensboro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Since we moved to Raleigh, my wife has been unable to shop at her favorite store (Garden Ridge), so we took a drive over to Greensboro Saturday to spend some time letting LOML go crazy. :wwink:

On the way there I noticed a shop on the North side of I-40 - Woodworkers Supply of North Carolina. Anybody know anything about that place? I had to keep driving as we were on a mission, but I might take a swing back by there some day if y'all think it is worth it.
:tool::tool::tool:

Will

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Will:

Its a good place. You can check them out online at www.woodworker.com. They have been in business for 36 years. They carry the Woodtek line of tools as well as Porter Cable, Dewalt, Delta, Steel City, Powermatic, Jet, Fein, etc. Some of their deals are nice. They do have some stuff made for them, such as their push blocks.

Doug

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
Will,
I was in the same position....I kept passing it for about 2 years and finally last month stopped in and looked around...they were in process of setting up a new showroom, but what they had out was pretty good...I grabbed one of their catalogs and signed up to recieve it on their website: http://woodworker.com/

Sandy

jsjordan

New User
Joel Jordan
Will - DO NOT STOP AT THAT STORE.... :eusa_naug

unless you have an open balance on the credit card! :gar-La;

seriously it is a fun store to shop at but as others have mentioned, the catalog or website are very good to shop from as well...

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I keep getting a letter from them every year saying I'm one of their top customers :icon_bigg. It's not good to be so close to them ;-). At least that's what the LOML says :eusa_naug.

But seriously, they seemed to be geared more toward the serious woodworker and leave a little to be desired for the smaller hobbiest. I always seem to find some good deals and I just can't seem to stay away from the place!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The store is great, but it's also their local area warehouse. So even if you don't see someting, they can get it from the back (as long as it's in their catalog).

Jimmy:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great store, friendly staff. They do have a very broad selection of stationary/power tools and many, many accessories. I have used them for odd hardware pieces and always found that they could accomodate my needs. Orders from their catalogue are generally delivered within three days to me!:eusa_danc

Also. They are real close to NC Hardwoods (Gibsonville) so the trip out there from Cary can net a great day of wood and tool drool!:eusa_naug

Wayne

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Will - DO NOT STOP AT THAT STORE.... :eusa_naug

unless you have an open balance on the credit card! :gar-La;

seriously it is a fun store to shop at but as others have mentioned, the catalog or website are very good to shop from as well...

What Joel said. the last time I was in there when I was asked if that would be all I told the fellow there could be a lot more but divorces are too expensive.

Steve W

New User
Steve
Good place, friendly staff, lots-o-toys!

They also have a lot of hardware (hinges, pulls, etc) as well as the usual assortment of tools.

They stock a mobile base kit for $50 that's hard to beat -- you use a piece of 3/4" plywood and bolt the kit to the corners. I have two of 'em!

Make sure you look up their website, as the driving directions to it are a little challenging if you don't.

:kermit: Steve

DavidF

New User
David
Great store, I use it regularly. My only comment is that it is not really a good browsing store, or if you want to "touch and feel" to make a decision, as most of the stuff is out the back, but they do have most things. I tend to catalogue shop before I leave home and then just give them the part number when I get there. If it's not right they are more than willing to keep treking out the back, but I get a bit embarrassed in the end!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Another :icon_thum:icon_thum for WWS. Since it's one of three warehouses in US for the chain, almost everything is in stock. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly. They allow discounts to NCWWer members, TWA members, and others. Once you are in the system you can request access to their "Pro" prices. That discount is 2-6% depending on the item. Logging onto the website enables one to see the discounted price. They also have a couple of sales every year. One should be coming up this spring. Everything is usually 10-20% off depending on brand and they have lots of discontinued and scratch and dent stuff. Fellow NCWWer Amy got a fabulous deal on a Delta air filter last year!

HTH,
Roger

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
Be VERY AFRAID of this store. It will cause large sums of cash to disappear from your wallet each and EVERY time you enter. :eek:
As has been said, just pick it from the catalog if you don't see it. :tool:
Not sure if they still have the sidewalk sale in the spring, but that's a good place to pick up some deals. I got a couple of mobile bases for less than half price there.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Be aware that they close at 3:00 on Saturday and Sunday. Might be best if wife just dropped you off (with her credit card) and picked you up on the way back. If they aren't busy, they will give you a tour of their warehouse. Through Pro sales, orders of more than $50 have been delivered to triangle are for free in the past. Benny Page, the retail manager is quite a character. Over the years, they have done a FREE bus trip to AWF in Atlanta. Bus trip, show pass, MARTA pass, and reception on Thursday night - free. Hard to beat. Twice, I couldn't go due to having a baby, I mean having a kidney stone.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
It is a great store. I also like that most of the employees do woodworking and can offer advice and suggestions. When I placed an order yesterday, I was told their spring sale starts the first Friday in May - Mark your calendars and get there early!

Amy

sapwood

New User
Roger
I stopped by WWS Thursday and they have rearranged the retail tools. Although they still have Powermatic, Steel City, etc., they moved it where the Woodtek tools were and vice versa. Now there's almost twice as many Woodtek power tools on display and many of them were large. Perhaps more of a focus on commercial users. Still a great place with a staff that give excellent advice :eusa_dancAnd as Amy mention, the spring sale will be in May.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS