Step by step cabinetry help

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexSwansboro

New User
Alex
What resource would you all recommend for me to use to get step by step instructions, including tools needed, on how to build cabinets, but more specifically doors (raised panel etc.) and drawers.

bwat

New User
Bill
One of our members has written a couple of books on cabinetry. I'm not sure if the follow-up book to this one is out yet but this is the basic and a great starting point. It also includes a DVD instructional.
http://www.gregorypaolini.com/WWPlans/KCMS/KCMS.htm
KCMS-SM.jpg

ebarr

New User
Wayne
When I get a few projects out of the shop, I want to construct a row of work surface/miter saw station/storage cabinets. So I am starting to look for some info myself.

I guess it depends on what kind of cabinets you want to build but I will say if you are wanting to build them yourself to save money you might want to look before you leep then again maybe I am going about it wrong.... getting the wood dimensioned the size you need is the part that takes all the tools... putting it together and using the router that is the fun part but you have to get everything sized right to start with... This mean you have to find the wood and not the wood they sell at home depot or lowes cause even the pre dimensioned wood is not straight and flat so you will not get good results with it

so you need a jointer and planer and then a table saw you will probably end up with a band saw for re-sawing and of course your router and router table

Then you have to decide what method you are going to use to build the boxes and what type of boxes you are going to build .... this part is endless.... if you no exactly what you want then you will be better off.... for me this has been a 3 year project and I have yet to finish my first cabinet and I have spent more money they I ever though I would just trying to get enough of what I need to be equiped to be up and running... and every corner I turn I need something else

I will say the Gregory Paolini box and DVD is a good way to start and he does things a basic way they should make it easier for anyone getting started...

on that NOTE ... If you are going to build face frame cabinets out of solid wood and plywood then Sommerfelds cabinet router bit set is the way to go in my opinion... my problem is I have his bits but have chosen to make frame less melamine cabinets using a different method...

The greatest thing about Sommerfeld bits in his sets are the bits are matched in height so when you set one bit and if you set up your router like he does then you do not have to change the height of the router when changing bits... This method is amazing you can find matched bits from other manufactures and I try to buy matched bits when it take more then one bit to do something

Sommerfeld videos are good but good only if you are using his system anyone can learn from them but really they about guides to use his setup. I have them and have watched them 3 or 4 times each

I guess my main point is it is a fun journey but know what you want and why you are getting into to start cause at least for me it has been a much longer journey then I thought it would be and I think I am only have about 70% of what I need to get going at this point and I have spent about 500% more then I thought I would have had to to get started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS