Start of a GLOAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
The LOML has said I can get some new tools to go in to the new shop :eusa_danc :eusa_danc (mid August). I am looking at the RIKON 14' Deluxe band saw. I have my mind pretty much set on that one unless some has other thoughts. I need help with picking a table saw. I am looking at the Grizzly G1023SLX that is with the long rails, the craftsman zip code saw, the General 10" tilting arbor saw and the Delta Hybrid saw. Now I am using a older Delta contractor saw with the Uni-Fence so these will be a upgrade. Thanks in advance for all of the information and help :eek:ccasion1

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well here's my take on your inquiry. The General is probably the best saw. 3 HP Baldor motor is it's best feature with a 50" Bies. style fence, around 495# and $2,500. Comparable is the Griz, also 3 HP (non-American motor), 54" rip Bies. clone fence, 494# and $1,300. with shipping. That's the best value.
Then there are the Delta and Crapsman hybrids both with 1¾ HP motors or suspected origin, 30" Bies. style fences around 350# and costing $900 (Crapsman w' selling your soul to Sears disc.) or $1200. (Delta). They aren't even in the same league as the first two saws.
If I had to make the choice, the Griz would be mine. I have heard great reviews on them, used one and was very impressed and I like to keep some $ in my pocket, so generally go for the best value.
Pick it up at the freight terminal and you'll avoid a lot of the hassles and possible problems that can come with Grizzly's shipping.
MTCW,
Dave:)

newtonc

New User
jak
I have been eyeing that bandsaw as well.I haven't decided yet.But there is also the Woodtek 17" 2hp bandsaw.But it can only resaw up to 10.5.It was on sale the month of June for $750.Now it's up to $830.I dragged my feet deciding on it and missed the sale.
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=148-277
You get a little more with the Woodtek.If it's more you might need.
I'm curious to hear some responses on this subject as well.

M

McRabbet

Nick,

You cannot go wrong getting this saw -- I've posted my opinions on mine several times and I must repeat that it it is a real workhorse and mine has served me very well in the 3 years I've had it. As you know, I go in for sizable projects, so I give it a real workout -- I have a Forrest Woodworker II full kerf blade with a 5" stabilizer plate on it and it rips and crosscuts very well. I love the Shop Fox Classic Fence (a very good Biesemeyer clone) for it's accuracy and solidness. It also has UHMW faces on each side and handles thin stock easily. I have the saw in the center of my 15' x 25' shop and have ripped 12' long planks and full sheets of plywood in half with the fence set at 48". It's on a mobile base with an extension base so I can move it (rarely) to clean.

Do yourself a favor -- drive up to Muncy, PA to visit their showroom and buy it there! It's on sale this summer and you'll be happy you did!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Nick,
You know I don't own a single Steel City tool, but that doesn't keep me quiet :lol: I've been stopping by WWS in Graham and checking out Steel City as the line expands. Well built with 5 year warranty. :icon_thum According to WWS staff, Steel City is planning to offer rebates in the near future ;-)

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS