Stanley plane repair parts/spare parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Is anyone interested in a group buy of Stanley plane parts?

I'd like to get a few sets of screws and some blades to keep on hand. Wondered if anyone else would like to go shopping together.

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
Mike - I've already got an assortment. PM me with what your looking for and I'll check my "inventory". I've got a ton of blades/chipbreakers.

ChrisB

New User
Chris
Hi Mike,

I'd like to go in on this - I have several planes, #2 - #7, and I'd like to have some blades with different bevels to swap out as necessary.

Chris

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike maybe it is a good time to organize a plane repair/clean-up workshop. I am sure there are others like me who have planes that don't know what parts are needed.

Semmons23

New User
Steve
I'm looking for a depth adjustment knob for an old 5 1/4....I read it was the same as a #3 so I bought that but it doesn't fit. Let me know if you come across one.

cpw

New User
Charles
I would like to participate. I have a frankenplane I need to rehab, but it may be a couple days before I can get my **** together and see what I need.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'll talk to Bill Saturday and see when we can have another hand plane workshop. That is one of the reasons I want to get a supply of spare parts.

Seems we always need something to get a plane going. I hate to let anyone walk away with a plane that still won't work.

I found a problem with one of mine last night. A small plane I just bought, it looked fine until I started sanding the bottom and then I saw the mouth is cracked. Somebody must have tightened down the blade too much and ruined the body. You never know what defects are hiding.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Seems like it would need one from a #5. I think I have a chrome one from a #4, we can check to see if it fits.

I'm looking for a depth adjustment knob for an old 5 1/4....I read it was the same as a #3 so I bought that but it doesn't fit. Let me know if you come across one.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have not seen James Davis on-line in a long while. At the last MWTC meeting he had a fairly large inventory of planes and parts. Might be worth tracking him down.

jhreed

New User
james
Mike, I need a round knob & screw for a #4 Bailey. Also would like to find a #60-1/2 low angle block plane.
James

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
When beginning my woodworking experience, I was heavily into cheap tools. I got a Stanley at K-mart and needless to say, was not really pleased by its performance. I stepped up to a Craftsman and still have it. I found the Stanley had not been machined where the frog rests on the body. Plenty of chatter. i could donate this is somebody wants to mess around with it.

Roy G

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have found pretty much what you described with the newer plastic handled, rough cast planes. You are better off to buy something else and let that one go.

It may be good for parts unless it is made in England. Than the screw threads will be metric and won't fit the older US made planes.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think I have a couple of planes in the "to be worked on" bin that need new totes because the existing one has a small crack. Just finished tuning up and cleaning a sweet #3 Bailey. Really dirty, but cleaned up real nice. I think that is all I need in the way of parts for now though. So if you find a good source for replacement totes, I'd go in on that if purchasing a few more would help lower costs.

- Ken.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I would like to jump in too Mike. At the last hand plane workshop you suggested I could use a new blade and chipbreaker. This is for a #5 Sargent. I guess I lost my "round-tuit" though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS