staining quilted maple

Status
Not open for further replies.

OriginalChong

New User
Al
So, I don't like the color of light woods...I would much prefer darker ones but I have some 350+ BF of figured maple in my backyard:gar-Lo: . Some quilted, tiger, whatever, I haven't planed it all yet and I'm not good enough to gauge it before planing. My question is, can I stain quilted/tiger maple and still have it show off it's figure but make it look darker?

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Staining quilted or tiger maple!!! Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about selling or trading it to get some wood that you do like.

I have some Black Walnut I'd be willing to trade for maybe 50bf of quilted maple.

pete

OriginalChong

New User
Al
Unfortunately, I live in Taxachussets. Chris and I were going to work out a deal but that's when I thought it was regular maple(he wants to build a workbench and frankly, quilted maple is way too nice for a workbench, I don't care how fancy you are). :eusa_doh: I don't know... if staining it will get rid of the figures, I guess I won't.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
What about lightly charring or burning with a torch? Produces some interesting grain. MTCW.

J

jeff...

I'm with DaveF on this one, dye but stain, just say NO to stain.

BTW I'm much more smarter today, I'm wearing my North Carolina Woodworker polo shirt.

nelsone

New User
Ed
There's got to be someone in your area that would be interested in trading or buying what you have. If you have to color it, definitely use dye!

J

jeff...

Attachments

• P5303179.jpg
    P5303179.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 201

striker

Stephen
Corporate Member
I vote for a dye finish. The attached Hutch & Table pics are finished with a golden maple dye / BLO/ Shellac.

Attachments

• t. maple table.jpg
    t. maple table.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 205
  • hutch 15.JPG
    hutch 15.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 191

OriginalChong

New User
Al
That is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, Steve. :gar-Lo: Does it have to be shellac? Can I use polyurethane instead? What is the difference between dye and stain?

Dave, thank you for the original recommendation.

Everybody, you rule.

striker

Stephen
Corporate Member
Al,
There's tons of material on the net concerning the stain vs dye question. I think the general opinion is that stain obstructs the grain and you don't get the depth of grain. IMO dye followed by a reduced BLO makes the quilted /tiger grain really pop. I think you can follow the shellac or omit it and use the poly.

I don't pretend to be an expert in the area of finishing by any means. Get ready for the flack your about to recieve from the purists about the use of poly though.:)

Stephen

PS. Can we get a big Bah Harba? or at least a cah in yad?

OriginalChong

New User
Al
BTW, Steve... great job on the table and cabinet. Moreso on the table. I can't see the cabinet very well. Very low pixel or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS