Square problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
No, I'm not happy with the results. I drafted out the square, checked with the 3,4,5 method, made the cuts and when I flip the panels over together they are off by about 3/32" across the 24 inch width.

I'm just going to be sure they are oriented the same and let them be off.

Maybe some day I will have decent equipment, time to work and space to lay things out. I think part of the problem was wood expanding several weeks after i cut and planed it. It took me a while to get back around to it.

Now the panels are cupped about 3/16 inch and I have to clamp a straight caul to the panel to get the dovetails to line up...

I can't win. :dontknow:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Bill Clemmons was also thankful for some geometry/math help so maybe he got his project true and square as well.

It's always a challenge and a little bit of wobble, etc. can make it "out of whack". :icon_scra

Jeff, I used the method you posted and got my table top pretty square. When I checked the diagonals I'm off by about 3/32". Considering it's a 36 x 96" table top, I can live w/ that. I just won't mention it to LOML, and she'll never check it. :gar-La;

Bill

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks guys. I was just curious. Although math is a precise science our human intervention in the process can lessen that precision.

Interesting that you both were about 3/32" (0.094") off for your respective projects. Here's some consolation to ease the feelings of inadequacy:

Mike, for a 24" x 24" panel your diagonals are 99.72% true and 99.78% true for a 24" x 36" panel.

Bill, for your 36" x 96" table top the diagonals are 99.91% true.

That's probably not bad precision during this excessively hot and humid summer. I have no idea what an acceptable tolerance is (1/32"?). That'd put us in the 99.95% range mathematically. Still pretty darn good in the real world.

Feeling better :dontknow: :eek:ccasion1

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
why not make the framing square right to start with? all it takes is a punch and a mallet. :wink_smil

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Mike,

I understand. We strive to make it 100% accurate, but sometimes that doesn't work so we scratch our head and ask "How can I do this better on the next project?". A well tuned and sharp block plane will help you out maybe.

Ha! I have to chuckle at Fred's comment because it may be a simple solution to your problem. We often overlook the obvious and relatively simple solutions; thereby making it more difficult than it has to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS