Spray Gun replacement options

Grimmy2016

Scott
I have a Campbell Hausfeld 3 stage HVLP system, but the gun looks shot. I bought it from a member years ago and I havent needed to use it until now, but when I opened it found a lot of white crusted paint in the needle area, in the syphon tube, and crusted to the inside of the canister.

I'm interested in finding a replacement in case this cant be restored. I dont do much but basic paint spraying and on occassion may do a laquer spray. Any suggestions for a decent gun, at an affordable rate <$150.

The gun I have is similar to this one, but an older model and has more plastic. You are being redirected....

I'm also curious if I should change to a gravity feed vs the canister on bottom.

Thanks
SCB

Last edited:

Langd002

New User
Scott
You can try soaking your existing gun in diluted Krud Kutter (available big box stores). Krud Kutter can do an amazing job cleaning dried finish off a neglected spray gun.

Scott
Efland

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott (@Grimmy2016)
I had an early Earlex and wanted to spray some latex (which it would not do.)

I heard some good things about the Horror Freight guns and for the few dollars that they cost - figured I would throw it away if it didn't work... well, I have used it a number of times and am pretty happy with a sub-$50 investment!

I am still considering buying the one that Phil always suggests...
Devilbiss Finishline 4 and add the DeKup disposable cup system

Here is a link to that thread: https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/better-gun.73128/#post-681632

Grimmy2016

Scott
@Hmerkle my first project is a respray of my metal front door with an oil based paint. Do you think the HF will handle that? And my next question is a nOOb one, what size needle is appropriate for oil paints?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott, I would recommend the Fuji spray system. It will handle your needs, the 1.3 or 1.4 needle cap system will handle several types of finish.

Grimmy2016

Scott
Scott, I would recommend the Fuji spray system. It will handle your needs, the 1.3 or 1.4 needle cap system will handle several types of finish.
Thanks Richard. I didnt want to buy a completely new system, was hoping just to change the gun.... unless thats what you are specifically speaking of.

EDIT: Just looked up the guns on Amazon... $300+... doesnt quite meet the $150 or less range I was hoping to find. I mayyyyy go to $200 but that would be a cap given how little I use them.

Last edited:

Grimmy2016

Scott
Any thoughts on syphon vs gravity guns? Is there a reason one would choose one format over another?

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Depends on preference, familiarity with each system and what works best for you.
Also If you are you are driving the gun with a compressor or a turbine. I prefer the siphon but that is what I am most used to. I use both, I use the small cup gravity gun for touch up more.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Any thoughts on syphon vs gravity guns? Is there a reason one would choose one format over another?
There are lots of reasons to pick one over the other, I’m my case I spray lots variety in materials and sometimes only need small amounts of material to spray. So using a gravity feed gun dose allow for faster material changes and cleaning. The guns preform the same under normal use.
I’m sorry I over looked you budget

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not a #4 but shows in stock,

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Hmerkle my first project is a respray of my metal front door with an oil based paint. Do you think the HF will handle that? And my next question is a nOOb one, what size needle is appropriate for oil paints?
You have MANY options since you are spraying oil. "needle size won't matter"
Well that is not exactly true... but oil based paint will spray through a very small (stock) needle.

I think the purple HVLP gun at HF is ~$20 so you can try it and it is likely available nearby...

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Depends on preference, familiarity with each system and what works best for you.
Also If you are you are driving the gun with a compressor or a turbine. I prefer the siphon but that is what I am most used to. I use both, I use the small cup gravity gun for touch up more.
gravity = smaller capacity , syphon, is less mobility, I have both, I rarely use the syphon quart model. theyre both Fujis.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Definitely try cleaning it first! Take it completely apart & soak it in acetone overnight. You've got nothing to lose and I'm betting it will work when you get done. Be sure to spray some acetone through it followed by soapy water, then water, then mineral spirits if you're using oil based.

I sprayed some metal doors with Rustoleum using a 1.3 tip worked extremely well very little thinning required.

I have no idea what gun with fit your set up. I have a Sprayport and I don't think you can use a standard HVLP gun due to the fittings, but I could be wrong.

If you have a compressor big enough, I would spray oil paint with a dedicated gun.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
See? this is proof .... some like Vanilla and some like Chocolate ......

........ But it is nice to have both

gravity = smaller capacity , syphon, is less mobility, I have both, I rarely use the syphon quart model. theyre both Fujis.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You have MANY options since you are spraying oil. "needle size won't matter"
Well that is not exactly true... but oil based paint will spray through a very small (stock) needle.

I think the purple HVLP gun at HF is ~$20 so you can try it and it is likely available nearby...
The HF gun won't work with his turbine air supply. I've used the HF gun when rehabbing stair rails for local "Y's." Only problem I had was justifying cleaning them. Half hour's time and a couple bucks of MS to clean a gun that I only paid $9.99 for. To make cleaning a little simpler, I bought one for each color, so gun didn't have to be spotless. If you are spraying Rustolem, check to see what they recommend for thinning. If memory serves me correct, it's acetone, not mineral spirits.

Grimmy2016

Scott
So I did buy an HF gun tonight... not the black widow but one down. Talked to the guys, say I can spray oil (but not latex) blah blah blah.. Get home and realize my hose from the Campbell Hausefeld has a 1/2 inch quick connect at the end. Look at the old gun and it had the male 1/2 connection... New gun only has 1/4 male threads. Checked HD and Harbor Freight and no one I have found makes a 1/4 female with 1/2 male plug.

I almost bought a new hose but have the same problem on the other side, the machine itself has a 1/2 screw port.

EDIT: Here is a pic of the layout of what I need. Just 1/4 on the screw side and 1/2 on the male quick connect side

1645191725315.png

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

dsiddens

New User
doug
I have a Fuji system with different caps and can recommend you check with them to see if they have a demo or return unit.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
This a common fitting. Most commercial air nailers use these. You just need the following to convert

1. Get a 1/4 end connector (Male or female depending on your need) unit that has a female threaded end. The threaded opening would be 1/4" as well
2. Get a 1/2 inch connector (actually, I thinks these are 3/8"- normally called out by the ID, not OD). Male or female depending on your need.
3. a Brass pipe to match the size picked. Put it together and you can keep everything you have as is. I have adapters that go both ways. That way depending on any condition I can always connect.

So I did buy an HF gun tonight... not the black widow but one down. Talked to the guys, say I can spray oil (but not latex) blah blah blah.. Get home and realize my hose from the Campbell Hausefeld has a 1/2 inch quick connect at the end. Look at the old gun and it had the male 1/2 connection... New gun only has 1/4 male threads. Checked HD and Harbor Freight and no one I have found makes a 1/4 female with 1/2 male plug.

I almost bought a new hose but have the same problem on the other side, the machine itself has a 1/2 screw port.

EDIT: Here is a pic of the layout of what I need. Just 1/4 on the screw side and 1/2 on the male quick connect side

View attachment 208517

Any suggestions?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors