spray gun needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
hey guys i need your imput.
I am taking a big step toward investing in a spray gun. I have a compressor but I really don't know what kind of gun to buy. I will be spraying some dyes, water based finishes and some poly.
I have looked at the guns at lowes and Northern tool but it just confused me more.
Any reccomendations for a good quality gun at a reasonble price?

Mark

timf67

New User
Tim
I really depends on your compressor capacity. I think the HVLP guns are the way to go, but you typically need a bigger compressor since they use a lot more air than the pancake or hotdog compressors can generate. I have tried to find a good spray gun that works with my pancake compressor but have only been frustrated. If you have a larger compressor, go for a good HVLP gun. There are HVLP guns from ~$40 to over $300 so I will avoid making any recommendations there...

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Depends on what you want to spend too. The Vasper (sp?) guns that Northern Tool sells are pretty decent for the price. I used one for paint (with a 2.3mm tip) and it worked great. Another suprisingly decent cheap one is the HVLP from Harbor Freight. Lists for about $60, but you can find it at times for $20-$30 on sale w/ coupon.

If you go to a turbine system, and still don't want to spend a ton, check out the $100 offerings by Wagner (FineSpray), or Rockler/Harbor Freight. I had the FineSpray and got EXCELLENT results.

Now if you want to spend some real money, I'd recommend getting into a turbine system. Several makes and all seem to be just a variation of great. Earlex, Fuji, Apollo, just to name a few. I have only used the Fuji Q4 and it's excellent, just pricey.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I highly recommend HVLP. Conversion guns that I have used and seen good reviews on include Porter Cable, Wagner, titan, and Vasper. The conversion guns do use a lot of air. The true HVLP systems are a good alternative. The Earlex gets good marks, and I have seen positive reviews on the Harbor Freight.

If it were me, I would make sure whatever I got has a stainless steel or nylon cup/pot. No regular steel.

jayhay

New User
Jay
I purchased a HVLP thru Rockler. It was only 4$9.00 but have had great success with it. I spray mainly water based lacquer, oil poly and stains. For the money I have been very pleased. The only drawback is that the instructions are sparse.

Trog777

New User
Trog
In younger more nimble days my previous hobby was customizing cars. I've owned and used several different brands and types of spray guns. From cheapo no names all the way up to the extremely nice and overly priced Sata units. I sold most of my more expensive units because, well, I just didn't need em to finish wood. I still have a half dozen or so guns, but about the only ones I use now are:

A Badger airbrush for tiny shi.. errr stuff.

A cheapo HF unit for base coat work (they actually sell one that's fairly good. Can't remember the part number though, I'd have to look. I wouldn't buy any of the others they sell.) I bought two of them the last time they were on sale. A deal at $19.99. Gave one to a friend and one is still NIB on the shelf if the one I use soils the sheets.

And my favorite. A Tjr from CA Technologies. Not cheap, but as good as most of the much more expensive units I've used. The pattern isn't big enough to paint vehicles all day, but it's great for WW. Small enough to handle well in all the nooks and crannies but still able to flow enough for panel work.

DonnellyJT

New User
John

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I've used LVLP for years, and am comfortable with them. Their primary drawback is all of the mist overspray.

Fine Woodworking magazine published a book called "Finishes and finishing techniques." ON page 121 they have a comparison between the spray patterns of conventional high pressure spray, conversion-air HVLP spray, Turbine HVLP spray, and airless spray.

Their conclusion was that "In general, high-pressure and conversion air HVLP systems delivered fine atomization and more uniform spray patterns than Turbine HVLP or airless systems".

I recently purchased a conversion air HVLP two-gun set from Grizzly, but have not yet used them. If I were in your shoes, I woudl go with a conversion air HVLP set and add tank capacity to your compressor if it doesn't generate enough CFM.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
One thing to consider is where you are going to spray. I used to do my finishing outside/ in the garage (shop is in the basement), so I got an HVLP Turbine system (Earlex 5000) since it's very portable. No need to lug a heavy compressor around.

My recommendation? Get both :)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Fine Woodworking magazine published a book called "Finishes and finishing techniques." ON page 121 they have a comparison between the spray patterns of conventional high pressure spray, conversion-air HVLP spray, Turbine HVLP spray, and airless spray.

Their conclusion was that "In general, high-pressure and conversion air HVLP systems delivered fine atomization and more uniform spray patterns than Turbine HVLP or airless systems".

I don't know that I agree with that conclusion. I have a 4 stage turbine HVLP and a couple of conversion guns, and for me, the turbine gives more uniform results. I would expect that mileage will vary as it is dependant upon all of the components and how they work together/inter-operate.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I don't know that I agree with that conclusion. I have a 4 stage turbine HVLP and a couple of conversion guns, and for me, the turbine gives more uniform results. I would expect that mileage will vary as it is dependant upon all of the components and how they work together/inter-operate.

Good point Trav. I recall that their test utilized a 3 stage turbine (the most common). A 4 stage should produce better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS