Spiral vs Helical

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodnick

New User
Nick
Does any one have experience using both Spiral and Helical cutter heads. I'm going to change the cutters on my jointer and would like to know which would be best to change to. I will be cutting mostly Pine.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Experience, no, but I've researched this for myself. Most favor the helical head with individual carbide bits. Several benefits ... multiple bits so if one chips you don't have to replace a whole row, plus you get 4 sides to each bit. The bits are carbide, which is more durable.

Both are supposed to be quieter to run ... which is an added bonus.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Like Jeremy, I have no experience either. Helical has the carbide inserts running parallel with the helix whereas spiral is square to the blade. The helical is supposed to be smoother and quieter than the spiral, but it is more expensive I believe as well.

I would love to get one for my jointer, but alas, it is too rich for my blood. At least for now.:icon_thum

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Spiral and Helical are the same term!

Actually there are three blades that fit your question they all are spirally or helically mounted on the cutter head.

Solid blades

1. 3 or more steel or joined segmented blade strips that are mounted in spiral blade slots that wrap (spiral around) the cutter head. Usually requires a special jig to sharpen the blades while on the machine. Blades make a shearing cut.

Segmented

2. Byrd Shelix (shearing helix)- multiple rows of individual, 4 edged, carbide segments spirally mounted around the cutter. Segment alignment from row to row is offset and overlapping. Segments are specially shaped and mounted at a slight angle to the cutter axis and so the make a shearing cut.

I had a Shelix on both my planer and jointer and think it is fantastic. Some say it is not needed on a jointer since once the board is flat you will likely run it through a planer anyway and if the planer has a Shelix you remove tearout there.

3. Grizzly, and others- multiple rows of individual, 4 edged, carbide, segments spirally mounted around the cutter. Segment alignment from row to row is offset and overlapping. The segments are square. The cutting edges are parallel to axis of the cutter head so the cutting action is the same as a straight blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS