spinny gloat, uh oh, dark round side beckons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That's a nice one, a little older than mine and in great shape.

Is there supposed to be a cap of some kind on the head?

I envy that long tool rest!

Looks like you got some good tools with it too. Is that in independent 4-jaw chuck? That could be good for some eccentric turning.

Glennbear

Glenn
Very nice score jay :eusa_clap Outboard face plate, scroll chuck, and jacobs chuck. One couldn't ask for a more complete package. :wsmile:

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Nice score Jay, I hope you got a good deal too. Those are nice well made lathes. You got a bunch of nice extras too, especially the highly coveted yet seldom seen bed extension. Those lathes were made by Atlas for Sears, you can google and find a lot of info on them, especially on the Old Woodworking Machines site IIRC. The big brothers of this lathe are the world famous Atlas metal lathes. I found one exactly like yours a couple of years ago and built a maple stand for it and rigged it with a DC 3/4 HP motor with variable speed drive. It's been nice for some of the recent specialty stuff I've done because you can slow it down to nothing. You probably already know this but notice the oil cups, these have sleeves instead of ball or roller bearings, and I hope yours are tight, mine are a little sloppy but OK, jut keep you oil can handy. I have no idea about replacement sleeves. I have a Walker Turner lathe that has been retrofitted with bearings. These 9" Atlas lathes use a #1 morse taper for the implements which I thought was odd. On yours the cast pulley cover is MIA; mine is not on mine either because the oafs at UPS broke it and I've never brazed it and put it on the lathe.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice score! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Don't try to fight it, for the darkside will grasp your soul with its powerful grip and it will never let go. Your futile attempts to resist will be crushed. :rotflm:

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Thanks for all the great info. What kind of oil should I be using in the oil ports on the lathe?

J

I've just been using regular 'ol Castrol GTX 10W-50 weight motor oil. The oil seems to vanish from the oil cups pretty quickly Where's My Oil?, so I keep the oil can at the lathe and give it a shot every so often while I'm using it. You might check the Old Woodworking Machinery website as I'm sure there's been discussion about manual oiling, type of oil, etc. I would be interested in what the "experts" have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS