Spindle or Bowl Gouge(s)?

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Bought these from a high school shop class that was closing. I am sure the two on the right are bowl gouges and the 4 TH from the right is a roughing gouge. What are all the others.? Spindle gouge?

Attachments

• gouges2.JPG
    gouges2.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 110

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
A standard rule of thumb is if they have a tang in the handle, don't use them as a bowl gouge, just for spindle turning. So I only see a few in the pic that would classify as a bowl gouge.

Bill E

Bill
User
My opinion as a turner: The two on the right have been ground for bowl turning and are high quality $ .The fourth is 1” or 3/4 roughing gouge and the rest are gouges for spindle turning . Bill E

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm with Mike. From L-R, 1-5, 7 are European spindle gouges. 6 I'm not sure. 8 looks like a Robert Sorby bowl gouge. #9, IDK, but a bowl gouge for sure

peltona

Andrew
User
Bought these from a high school shop class that was closing. I am sure the two on the right are bowl gouges and the 4 TH from the right is a roughing gouge. What are all the others.? Spindle gouge?
The five on the left are vintage shallow spindle gouges. Very uncommon these days as they prone to breaking off at the tang. They are likely high carbon steel and not HSS. Good for décor but I wouldn't bother using them, especially if you sharpen with diamond or CBN wheels. I wouldn't want to chance clogging the wheels.

peltona

Andrew
User
i will take and use any that you don’t want. They make a nice smooth finish if you know how to use them.
Unfortunately, I've given them all away already but I'll keep you in mind next time I come across them. I had a bunch that came with with a lot I bought years ago and used them for a while just to see if I liked them. They work ok and I could see where a narrow one with a fairly sharp point would be handy for detail work but I just prefer the good old skew chisel. I haven't quite mastered coves but I turned an egg the other day with nothing but the skew. I need to turn a few more as this egg ended up a little smaller than I started with due the the lessons I was getting taught when I lost the bevel around the ever changing ogive.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
The five on the left are vintage shallow spindle gouges. Very uncommon these days as they prone to breaking off at the tang. They are likely high carbon steel and not HSS. Good for décor but I wouldn't bother using them, especially if you sharpen with diamond or CBN wheels. I wouldn't want to chance clogging the wheels.
So, Andrew, I am thinking of replacing my Tormek grindstone with a diamond stone. Are you saying that I can only sharpen HSS?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Diamond stones are fine for carbon steel. It’s CBN that warns against soft steel clogging the grit. Most now say any hardened steel will not hurt CBN or diamond sharpening tools. So, the soft steel in the warning were things like lawn mower blades, shovels, angle iron and such items that people sometimes grind on a bench grinder to remove a burr or smooth an edge, or steel that has been annealed for knife and tool making.

Last edited:

peltona

Andrew
User
So, Andrew, I am thinking of replacing my Tormek grindstone with a diamond stone. Are you saying that I can only sharpen HSS?
Tormek branded diamond wheels claim steel is ok. My CBN wheels are on a Rikon slow speed bench grinder which presents a much higher surface speed than a Tormek resulting in more heat. I've sharpened quality chisels and planer blades and even stainless knives but I move quickly and cool often as to not effect the temper. This is where the Tormek shines. When it come to risking hitting soft or annealed steel, It's just not worth the risk for me.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS