Spalted Red Gum Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
This is a bowl I have been working on side by side with another project I am doing, the other has some large cracks that need filling so during drying I have been doing this. 12" Spalted Red Gum this log came from Don P's(touchwood) yard and spalted at my shop, sanded to 400 finished with Mineral Oil and buffed. CC's welcomed.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
What's the other project your working on?

BTW I like that bowl, looks like a good stew bowl even if it round and all :roll: Does anyone carve bowls anymore?

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I like the figure and grain. It's very nice.

How does it turn? How thick are the walls? How often do you have to keep applying mineral oil to keep it from looking dull?

I have a huge 11" piece, 5" thick I need to turn, it's some heavy stuff. It's just sweet gum though.

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Beautiful. Wish I'd seen that one in person. I didn't know you could spalt wood on purpose, very cool.

Touchwood

New User
Don
This is a bowl I have been working on side by side with another project I am doing, the other has some large cracks that need filling so during drying I have been doing this. 12" Spalted Red Gum this log came from Don P's(touchwood) yard and spalted at my shop, sanded to 400 finished with Mineral Oil and buffed. CC's welcomed.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Gary

It's beautiful.:notworthy:

I was never so glad to get rid of a tree in my life. We noticed the color in the center of the logs and figured it was or would spalt.:icon_cheers

How about the other guys that got chunks of that menace.??

Don

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I would be one of those guys.:gar-Bi have not turned any yet but if it looks as good as gary's maybe I should get on it!:icon_thum

Dragon

New User
David
That is a very pretty bowl. What's your recipe for spalting wood? I'm trying several different ideas but not set on anything definite.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
To spalt I use turnings from spalted woods, leaves, moisture and heat. A bit of fertilizer or yeast will help too. I either put the above combination in a black trash bag or all under a tarp and let it bake in the sun, keeping it moist the entire time(important note: DO nOT use chlorinated water.) I will leave it like this for 1-2 mo, the cut a small section to check on the spalting if it is not where I want it back in the bag. Check at bi weekly to monthly after that. It is a fine line between spalted and rotted.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Very beautifull work :thumbs_up I usualy get my spaulted wood by accident :gar-Bi I had some magnolia that I put in a plastic bag to take up to NC last yr,then didn't take it,an when I come back 6 mo's later,I took it out of the bag an had some of the prettest wood you could want ,made some real nice pieces from it. :eusa_danc

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That's beautiful Gary! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap That's even cooler that you induced spalting on your own. The results are outstanding. :icon_thum

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
I like the figure and grain. It's very nice.

Thank you.

How does it turn? It turns well, but slopped alot of brown "water" all over. I hould have let it dry a bit more, it was soaked from the spalting. How thick are the walls? The walls are about 1" at the top and taper quickly to about 3/8" at the bottom, but it is light. I have to admit I really don't measure my bowls. How often do you have to keep applying mineral oil to keep it from looking dull? I only applied oil once, before sanding, wood sanded and/or buffed will take on a shine of its own.

I have a huge 11" piece, 5" thick I need to turn, it's some heavy stuff. It's just sweet gum though. That should a fun turn!!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
To spalt I use turnings from spalted woods, leaves, moisture and heat. A bit of fertilizer or yeast will help too. I either put the above combination in a black trash bag or all under a tarp and let it bake in the sun, keeping it moist the entire time(important note: DO nOT use chlorinated water.) I will leave it like this for 1-2 mo, the cut a small section to check on the spalting if it is not where I want it back in the bag. Check at bi weekly to monthly after that. It is a fine line between spalted and rotted.

Thanks for the reply on the previous post.

And Thanks for the recipe for spalting. You really did a good Job.

I'm working on a 10.5" Wormy Maple 3.5 thick, Then I think I will try that Sweet Gum out, but I don't think I want a bunch of water shooting out of mine, as it is still pretty moist and it's getting different kinds of mold on it...:tongue2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS