Source of Sassafras?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarrett

New User
Jarrett
I just took a white coopering class at the John C. Campbell Folk School with Will Hines. It was a extremely great experience, and deserves its own post, (I need to dig up the camera first).

But we worked with sassafras, and Will noted that he's having trouble finding a good source of sassafras nowdays. I told him I'd help him find some, so here I am.

He's near the NC/TN border, and he's looking for both boards and split out sections of straight-grained wood (think firewood sized). I believe he used to just get whole logs in the past, but his old source retired.

So, anyone know of a new source?

If you know of a source near Wake County as well, I'd sure like to know that too, so I can continue with coopering on my end.

Thanks!

sawduster

New User
Robert
i'm interested in knowing this as well, having just turned some sassafrass for the first time thanx to StevieG who brought me a few pieces last Sat.
I would like to find more for the future .....that stuff turns nice and smells good doing it :icon_thum

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I bought a 4/4 board from the Raleighwood WoodCraft last year or year before. I don't recall seeing any in there recently but they might still get it from time to time.

hth,
Brian.

prolfe

New User
Paul Rolfe
Klingspor's Woodworking Shop on Capital Blvd in Raleigh Stocks 4/4 sassafras for $2.99/ft.

Dragon

New User
David
:eusa_thin I've got some Sassafras growing right here in the backyard. Not sure about sizes. Guess I need to go "inventory" my jungle and sees whut I kin find in them thar woods. I'll letcha' know.............

Outa Square

New User
Al
I know sassafras gets large enough to make lumber out of, but i have never seen it get much bigger than my wrist and no taller than 12 feet. Does it get that big in piedmont of NC or is that something that happens more up in the hills? I guess where in the wild would you find larger sassafras?

Dragon

New User
David
I have sassafras. Will also have to see how big and how many.

You know the Sassafras can have 4 different leaf types at the same time? http://www.assateague.com/sass.html

It's also known as the "Root Beer Tree" http://treenotes.blogspot.com/2007/08/sassafras-root-beer-tree.html

For anyone wanting to go tree hunting...... http://www.tree-pictures.com/sassafras_tree_photos.html

Yeah, sittin' here killing time so I thought I'd do a little reference hunting. I've got several saplings and some more mature trees in the woods out back. Been too danged hot to really get out there for long and the 'skeeters here this summer are serious about hunting you down. One of the web sites I saw said it can grow to 30' to 50' tall and trunk diameters in excess of 30". Don't think I got any quite that big but I'm gonna go looking as soon as I can.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I used to hunt sassafras trees back in the early 70s and dig the roots for making tea. I know them very well and I'm sure I have plenty of small ones here. Not too sure how big I may have, I know I have seen 6 inch trunks but haven't noticed bigger ones. I'll have to look in the more remote areas. If anybody wants some you need to let me know because we plan to move in a couple months. :mrgreen:

Dragon

New User
David
If anybody wants some you need to let me know because we plan to move in a couple months. :mrgreen:

Almost the same here. We're hoping to be able to move sometime during the winter so I "plan" to be putting a LOT of wood on the ground before I leave here. Would move now but we've already got the garden in and with the news ferrets talking about 40% increases in vittles this year, I can't leave my food in the ground ya know? I need to make a car/truck that runs on wood. I hear they make a very unique sound going down the highway. Something to the effect of woodenwoodenwooden.........
:rotflm::rotflm:

sash plane

New User
steve
Jarrett..

Are you using sassafras for the stave's....? How big of a item did y'all make...?
I made a small bucket with rope on it...but I used yellow pine... leaked all the time till it swolup..took a good 1 1/2 days to stop...lol
I have sassafras around my yard...grows like a weed all over the place....
I just cut a tree but is was only like 3" dia.....only like 20' tall....

Give Ivy Pridgen a call..... he live around me and he might could get some....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS