Source for wood lath strips for plaster walls?

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I do small custom moulding jobs, but would rather be able to buy this as it will take me forever to cut. I have a lady that is asking for 1000 pcs of 1/2" thick x 1-1/2" wide x 8' long pine lath for remodeling plaster walls in an old house. Anyone know of a source for lath this size?

I have never heard of anyone using wood lath and plaster since the 1940s. My house was built in 1967 with plaster walls, but it used 3/8" thick sheetrock. I really wonder if this lady has actually found a contractor that would install the lathe and plaster it.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Not sure if you have any Menards stores nearby but I know the ones up in Wisconsin did stock it and would even take orders for larger quantities. And yes, people restoring some historic properties will sometimes insist on the use of lath and plaster (but usually leave the horse hair out of the plaster mix).

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
When I lived in NY, the local Home Depot carried it.

They also stocked the 1x5 pine trim and back band moulding used throughout my 1930 built house.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
1/2 inch seems thick from all I have seen.
Yea, I agree on the 1/2" thickness. Everything that I have researched talks about 1/4" thickness.

I did find a building supply in Roanoke that carries 1/4" x 1-1/2" lath. I emailed my potential client back to ask if they really need 1/2".
On the west coast we just used ripped 2x redwood
This lady needs 8000 linear feet! I don't have the capacity to handle that volume of ripping.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
Possibly you could find an old house being torn down or maybe contact the owner of a house that has fallen into disrepair. I used to have a lot of lath from old tenant houses here on the farm but I used it in restoring my 1920 house. Our old houses are gone now but there are still a lot of them around.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yikes I thought you were patching. Why lath n plaster, have they thought of using modern plaster systems ? They really are better than traditional- Diamond finish plaster and alike ?

Yea, I agree on the 1/2" thickness. Everything that I have researched talks about 1/4" thickness.

I did find a building supply in Roanoke that carries 1/4" x 1-1/2" lath. I emailed my potential client back to ask if they really need 1/2".

This lady needs 8000 linear feet! I don't have the capacity to handle that volume of ripping.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Yikes I thought you were patching. Why lath n plaster, have they thought of using modern plaster systems ? They really are better than traditional- Diamond finish plaster and alike ?
Yea, I think when she sees the cost of the lath, she will be shocked. My cost on 8000 linear feet at the supplier that I found is almost $3500.

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
My first house in Lenoir had all lath-n-plaster and was built in 1920 the guy that bought it restores old homes and was adamant that that to keep things original for historical reasons the repairs were all with lath, if I remember right he purchased just over 5000 liner feet from a supplier in Richmond.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
At 50 feet per minute, that's one man 20 days just ripping, or 8.3 days ripping at 120 feet per minute.
$3500 for 8.3 days work (assuming an 8 hour day) comes to a charge of $53.00 per hour shop time charge and that doesn't include material. I'd say $3500.00 is rather reasonable.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I do know that there is a mill here in Roanoke that does have a fairly modern gang rip saw, so that might be an edge for them.

Ted P

Ted
Corporate Member
I wonder where they will find horse hair with which to reinforce the plaster? When I tore out the plaster and lath in my first house (which was built in 1880 something) the plaster was full of fine strands that I was told was horse hair.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
I wonder where they will find horse hair with which to reinforce the plaster? When I tore out the plaster and lath in my first house (which was built in 1880 something) the plaster was full of fine strands that I was told was horse hair.
They use a plastic shredded fiber now that is actually roughed up along the side length.

Using horse hair was deemed cruelty back in the 90's I think.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS