Sorby tenon sizer howto

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I asked Santa for this and have learned how to tear out chunks of wood with it using a 3/8” Bedan both bevel up and bevel down.

Looking at the geometry, it looks like this tenon sizer would be better behaved with a 3/8” beading tool. Any tips from tenon sizing tool users or have I answered my own question?

IMG_4926.jpeg

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Forgot a fundamental and did not have the Bedan supported by the tool rest. Unsupported tool = guaranteed catch! More practice tomorrow.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
The instructions show a beading and parting tool being used. The edge lines up with the rounded guide. Using a bedan would put the edge above the rounded guide. That may be your problem.

Roy G

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
This is a great tool my dad used one for years when he was making stair spindles and would swear by how well it worked. I have only limited experience with the sizing tool but found a genital hand and it will produce accurate size tenons. I still and prefer to use the old fashion wrench method, 3/4 inch open end wrench and you get a perfect tenon as well and IMHO it is quicker.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This is a great tool my dad used one for years when he was making stair spindles and would swear by how well it worked. I have only limited experience with the sizing tool but found a genital hand and it will produce accurate size tenons. I still and prefer to use the old fashion wrench method, 3/4 inch open end wrench and you get a perfect tenon as well and IMHO it is quicker.
I had sharpened one edge of a 3/4 open end wrench for that purpose. The sharp side will cut like a scraper.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Forgot a fundamental and did not have the Bedan supported by the tool rest. Unsupported tool = guaranteed catch! More practice tomorrow.
The very first time I tried to use a scraper on the inside of a bowl, I was holding the scraper at about a 30-degree angle from the tool rest when I encountered a catch that slammed the scraper flat on the tool rest. That got my attention. After that, I made sure that I had a much more secure grip on the tool handle.

I can imagine that starting a cut, without first placing the tool on the tool rest, could be a recipe for serious catch, or worse.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors