So what do I need to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knot Head

New User
Kevin
Alright,

Brand new to the site, but I am told you guys will help me figure it all out. I need to put together a shop that I can do some furniture building and so on. No room to build a shop so I will have to use garage. All will be mobile for the most part. Here is what I have:

3 year old craftsman 10" compound mitre saw
brand new ryobi 10" table saw
1966 craftsman commercial router
Delta table top band saw
Reciprocating Saw
(courtesy sawduster)
floor model drill press courtesy of fellow ncwoodworker

also the standard odds and ends (ie drills, and other hand tools)

So...what else do you recommend? What brands, sizes, styles? I assume a sander, air compressor, joiner. What is absolutely necessary for a furniture builder? I am a novice, but want to have the right tools to get going the right way.

striker

New User
Stephen
Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the site. Sounds like you have the beginnings of a shop going on there. What you buy depends on what you intend to build. In general, you probably need to look at some hand tools such as planes and layout tools. A jointer and planer will make the machinery list at some point. Once you have the machinery going on dust collection comes into the picture. Brands and models like everything else in this world go from inexpensive to designer level.

I'm sure your post will get plenty of play. Spendin other peoples money
- it doesn't get any better.

Stephen

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I'm sure you'll get plenty of sage advice, and I don't mean to disparage anything in your collection, but allow me to share something with which I have personal knowledge.

That Craftsman router may be equipped with the famous Automatic Random Height Adjustment feature. Mine was. I thought it was me. I couldn't get it to do what I thought it should. After I learned about the ARHA feature, I jettisoned the router (which I had purchased in a pawn shop for $33) and purchased a name-brand plunge router. What a difference. I'm not suggesting you toss it, just letting you know that if the results with it aren't what you thought you should be getting, it probably ain't you.

Enjoy WGD.

Last edited:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Ha! That's an easy one. You want everything. Don't let anyone tell you different :) I went through all this not 6 months ago.

You have a good start. The first thing I'd invest in are some hand tools. Those are at least as important as the power tools. A basic set would include some chisels, saws (I like the Japanese Shark saws - sharp and cheap), block plane, scrapers, files and rasp. You can actually get most of that stuff at Sears for a reasonable price.

You mentioned you have a brand new table saw. The blade that comes with the saw is usually substandard. Before you buy anything else, get a good blade. I like Freud, but in the same price range ($40-$60) you can also find a good DeWalt or Delta.

A good sander is a must-have piece of equipment. Porter-Cable, Bosch and Ridgid all have very good 5" Random Orbit Sanders (ROS). I picked the Ridgid - got it on sale, and my shop vac plugs in without modification. Don't buy sandpaper at the home improvement store, go to Klingspor instead.

As to the next power tool, the question is whether you want to buy rough lumber, or are content to stick to dressed lumber and sheet goods. If the latter, you're going to be limited to pine, oak, poplar and maybe cedar. If the former, you'll need a jointer and planer. Those are what I'd buy next.

A thickness planer can be purchased for around $400. There are several good "lunchbox" machines for that price - DeWalt, Ridgid, Craftsman, Delta etc. Fine Woodworking and Popular Woodworking recently tested these machines. I have the Ridgid (older 2 knife model) and I've been very happy with it. The jointer choice is slightly more difficult. I have the 6" model from Grizzly, and it works well. Ridgid also makes a good 6" jointer. They are both around $400. A 6" model does limit you to narrower/ shorter boards. An 8" jointer can handle 90% of the lumber you buy commercially, but it's twice the price. If you're not sure, get a 6" model. Worst case, you sell it on Craig's List in a year or two for half the money, and you know exactly what you want next.

Keep an eye on Craig's List for used equipment. You won't see anything suitable for two months, get tired of waiting, buy it new, and then see four planers and three jointers the next week :)

You can save a lot of money by buying at Harbor Freight. They have a lot of junk, but also some real bargains. I suggest you keep an eye on their coupons (sign up via their web site) and invest in their bar clamps when they go on sale (about every other week). the 12" and 24" are especially useful. Other good items are the Forstner bit set (since you have a drill press), glue brushes (36 for $2 on sale), shop rags, pipe clamps and digital calipers. They also have decent air tools, such as a pin nailer.

Oh, and get a can of paste wax. It protects your tools from rust. It makes work pieces slide smoothly over the table saw. It gives your finished furniture a protective coating. It lubricates the vise. It cures arthritis and can feed your family if you get snowed it.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Lovin' the avatar! Hurray for cow bell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my all time favorite sketches.

"I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cow bell."

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I think if you got a planer you could make do with what you have. A jointer might be next on the list after that. What I've been doing is purchasing as the things I want to make demand it.

Bryan S

Bryan
I was wondering how long it would take the enabelers on this site to say this

Ha! That's an easy one. You want everything. Don't let anyone tell you different :) I went through all this not 6 months ago.

Keep an eye on Craig's List for used equipment. You won't see anything suitable for two months, get tired of waiting, buy it new, and then see four planers and three jointers the next week :)

Bas hit this one on the head, 2 weeks after I bought a new jointer a used one came up for sale here. I did find a nice used planer here.

I am a novice at this also but looks like your getting a good start. A jointer and planer would be good additions and allow you to work with rough stock just let your use decide if you need them now and how much your giong to spend.

cpw

New User
Charles
From the list of haves that you posted, in terms of big purchases, I think a planer and joiner would be the next logical steps. Don't have any specific recommendations about brands & models because it really depends on your budget. Generally speaking though, all other things being more or less equal, with both, bigger is better.

If you're on a budget, the more popular planers seem to the the Dewalt dw735 and the Delta 22-580. If you check a lot of classifieds like Craig's list both show up frequently as people upgrade to larger models. The Rigid r4330 is also pretty good (and a bit cheaper than the dw735) but it's fairly new, so your not as likely to find a used one FS any time soon.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't know why 'the dark side' hasn't weighed in on this. You guys KNOW he's gonna need a wood lathe to turn those bedposts on that 4 poster he'll try & build - not to mention the baby crib! :eusa_danc C'mon guys, help a fella out.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I'm with Dennis on this one. Forget all that other stuff and get a Powermatic 3520 or a nice Nova DVR. How's that Dennis? :rolf:

But... If you just have start with the "flat" stuff, then I agree with the rest of the guys. You'll need a jointer and a planer. You can take a shortcut and get one of the new combo machines like this:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Jointer-Planer/G0633

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Kevin,

The very first thing that should be done in the shop is planning. If the garage is not insulated or does not have many electric circuits in it, the time to do it is now. Lighting is also a consideration. Big tools should include a planer and jointer and dust collector, but I wouldn't rush into buying them new, tax season (and tax returns) is here and there will be people upgrading so I would wait for some deals on this website and on craigslist.

I'm sure you will keep on getting other ideas.

Good Luck,
Jimmy:)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good down to earth advice, Jimmy. Also, don't forget to include the basic safety equipment; Safety glasses, first aid kit - oh - and a FIRE EXTINGUISHER.

M

McRabbet

I agree with Jimmy and Dennis that your first priorities (if you don't already have them) are to get some good personal safety equipment. Aside from good safety glasses, a fire extinguisher and smoke detector, buy a set of AO Safety or Peltor Ear "Muffs" to protect your hearing from the noise of your equipment. In addition, I'd buy a good face mask with replacement cartridges for dust and organic vapor filtration (AO Safety also has these). An emergency light in the shop is a good idea, too. Next, before any other tools, is a decent dust collector. For starters, I'd get the popular Harbor Freight single stage model and upgrade it with the Wynn Environmental Filter cartridge conversion. This will help protect you from the dust that every woodshop produces. Then consider the other tools the folks here have recommended -- for me, it is safety first!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Noooo....get the tools first. Plan later. You see, once you have the tools, it would be foolish to not invest in insulating the shop, installing some extra outlets, setting up dust collection. Otherwise it's just sitting there.

If you spend the money on insulation, lighting etc. - now there's no money for tools! You have to trap yourself! :eusa_shhh

You're absolutely right of course - and so is Dennis. Hearing protection is also a good idea - especially if you get a planer :)

toolman

New User
Chad
If you don't mind, I will weigh in now. I had about 60% of my equipment before I got into woodworking.

1. McRabbet is right on the good personal safety equipment safety glasses, ear muffs, face mask, and first aid kit.

2. Stephen (striker) said it Hand tools, a jointer and planner then a DC

Knot Head you have my PM I also have a my first lathe you can get if you need it. It's like the HF ( http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38515 )

You need to take one step at a time. You will start going one way and end up going another way. You have come to the right place the member here will help. The two points I said above is the way I went.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Guys, we need to think of some things he SHOULDN'T buy, such as:
Thermometer or thermostsat for the heater - if you know how cccccold it is you'll only fffffeel cccccolder.
Air Conditioner - too uppity - use a fan.
Clock - SWMBO will tell ya when to come to bed.
A cheap radio - get a good 'un so you can't hear SWMBO.
Anybody else wanna add somethin'?

sapwood

New User
Roger
Guys, we need to think of some things he SHOULDN'T buy, such as:
Thermometer or thermostsat for the heater - if you know how cccccold it is you'll only fffffeel cccccolder.
Air Conditioner - too uppity - use a fan.
Clock - SWMBO will tell ya when to come to bed.
A cheap radio - get a good 'un so you can't hear SWMBO.
Anybody else wanna add somethin'?

Don't buy the HF moisture meter :lol:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS