So I built a sky fort and now they want a roof...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
The kids seem too old for it in a way, but they were bugging me for one more to have a place to hang out that isn't the house than to play. With our covenants, about the only choice was to bolt it on the swing set, so that's what I dd. I just looked at ones on either side of me and built one like it. Basically a 4x8 deck. I think the simplest solution is the canvas tent like top, especially since I am pretty sure the life span of the whole play structure is maybe 5 years (kids will outgrow it). Suggestions on building one or cheap kits? Or other alternatives to consider?

Thanks!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Screen lattice cut as bow stays 12" apart and mortised (or use a biskit jointer to cut slots) into a side beam - not attached - just pushed into the mortise. Blue tarp over the top of an appropriate size and held down with parachute cord or bungees. Tarp will need to be replace yearly probably, but not that much $ there.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Andy- Don't be in too much of a hurry for your kids to grow up.
If you procrastinate long enough, like me, you'll find yourself sprucing up that swing set for the grandkids.
That one's on my list for this spring. (first grandson turns 1 in June)

The blue tarp roof will last several years, at least if its in the shade like ours is.

CarvedTones

Andy
I am in no big hurry for them to grow up, but barring setbacks Grampa Andy won't live where Daddy Andy did. With any luck, Grampa will be posting queries about whether anyone has ever built a treehouse in a palm before... :) I am not sure the blue tarp idea will fly in my neighborhood; I might have to use canvas or sunbrella. I just finished repainting the mailbox post after removing the black letters I had attached to it because I have to use 3" white letters on the mailbox instead (the HOA sent me a letter).

CarvedTones

Andy
It's more about materials than color. I caved to my better half about moving to a Cary neighborhood with covenants. Next time I choose...

CarvedTones

Andy
Thanks for the link, Brian; that is probably exactly the right size also. My wife has urged me to hold off for a month or two while she watches for sales at fabric stores. The outdoor canvas is usually $20 - $50 (Sunbrella) a yard at regular price (but is 50% off often; Sunbrella is now at Jo Anns, making it "only $25) and only 55" wide, so it would need a center seam and have a lot of waste. I would probably have to buy 6 yards and put a lot of work in going that route. The Northern tarp gives me an unrealistic price for her to beat. :)

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Andy, just thought about it... Have you tried the two larger outdoor playset places in Raleigh to see if any of their tarps would suit your needs and if they would sell you one? I know there's WoodPlay over on Lumley and Rainbow over on Glenwood near Umstead. They both have a cloth top option. They may be more than the tarp, but your HOA might not hassle you as much if it looks like what everyone else in the hood may have. :)

Brian.

manfre

New User
Manfre
Instead of spending money on a roof, you could convince them that a sky light would be better. There is also the option of a large patio umbrella.

manfre

New User
Manfre
I have been giving that option some consideration; those often go on sale quite cheap.

Costco has a few of these in Cary approved beige. In addition to the standard umbrella on a pole type, they also have one with an offset base, which comes with a stand and doesn't put a pole in the middle of the deck.

If you don't have a Costco membership and want to purchase from them, it can get purchased with my membership; either meet at the store, or online shipped to you.

FlyingRon

Ron
I had a 6x6 "fort" area on the swingset (it had a cargo net and a firepole). I just added a simple center pole and canvas roof. You're right. The time is finite that the kids were interested in it. It was the talk of the neighborhood while it was up. My neighbor and I took a chainsaw to it when the kids were in highschool so we could redo the garden plot between our two lots.

Don Alexander

New User
Don
Cary ........... the only place i've ever lived where they apparently have someone going around checking the registration stickers on perfectly decent looking cars sitting in your very own driveway doing nobody any harm . looking perfectly normal and red tag it for towing because the registration expired last month. must be about time to move somewhere less gestapolike

manfre

New User
Manfre
Cary ........... the only place i've ever lived where they apparently have someone going around checking the registration stickers on perfectly decent looking cars sitting in your very own driveway doing nobody any harm . looking perfectly normal and red tag it for towing because the registration expired last month. must be about time to move somewhere less gestapolike

Odd. I had a car sitting in my driveway for almost 3 months with no plates and didn't hear a peep from the town about it. Granted, it was blocked by the other 3 vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors