So how do you cut a rabbit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Just wondering on this one. Do you cut a rabbit with a sac. fence, or cut it with the rip fence away from the dado stack? Why? I do both, just asking the crowd.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ditto that. If you keep the rabbet cut against the fence & slip with the board, you can always make another pass & clean it up. The other way you cannot correct a blunder & you'll have a bad rabbet - & bad rabbet don't taste good.:gar-La;

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
- dado stack buried in fence - 2 passes with regular blade in table saw - router table Choice depends on how many rabbets I need to cut, the depth of said rabbets and what is already setup on the TS and router table.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Cutting rabbits can get a little messy. If you have a Sawstop, make sure the brake is disabled first as rabbits conduct just like people. Just take the cut easy, wear eye protection, and don't let the kids watch. :tinysmile_tongue_t:

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
2051_animado.gif

I like the idea of a sacrificial fence...never needed to cut one though...

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
Meat cutting blade on the band saw :gar-Bi

The router table is the way I do them. I have a very large router table that makes it easy

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Ok, I will try to be serious just this once.

I think it depends on much of a rabbit (size and quantity) I have to do. Sometimes a handheld router with a rabbit bit for just a few. Other times the router table -- but too many just kills bits and takes a long time. Usually on the tablesaw with the sacrificial fence. The tablesaw does it effortlessly and with a good blade set you will get excellent results.

J

jeff...

It's been a while but I used to trap and cut a lot of rabbits when I was younger and lived up in Northern IL. There aren't very many rabbits around here in NC but up there they are everywhere.

If recall correctly... these are the steps to cutting big rabbits.

1 Dress rabbit as soon as possible
2 Keep everything clean
3 Cut off the head and feet
4 Hold the rabbit by the loose skin on the back and make a cut down the entire length of only the skin.
5 Peel the skin off the flesh including the tail
6 Remove entrails (Cut open the abdomen, reach inside and remove all internal organs)
7 Rinse and hang in a cool place just a little above freezing around 40 degrees for a little while. An old frig makes a good hanger / cooler.
8 Package and freeze.

Pretty easy really...

You can use the rabbit brain to tan it's hide if you want to save the skin and of course some think rabbit feet are lucky - I never thought that way myself.

Big rabbits are a little bit tough, go for the small tender ones, you'll be glad you did.

Thanks

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
with a fork if he's cooked right.:rotflm:

a rabbet on the other hand I use whatever is handyest to set up at the time. usually a router [if I can find one]:gar-Bi

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert

2 Keep everything clean
4 Hold the rabbit by the loose skin on the back and make a cut down the entire length of only the skin.
6 Remove entrails (Cut open the abdomen, reach inside and remove all internal organs)
7 Rinse and hang in a cool place just a little above freezing around 40 degrees for a little while. An old frig makes a good hanger / cooler.
8 Package and freeze.

Pretty easy really...

I thought the first step was to shoot'em and the last step was to eat'em. Rabbit's are good eating!

Seriously, I prefer dado with sac fence but have used router on occasion.
Rob

J

jeff...

I thought the first step was to shoot'em and the last step was to eat'em. Rabbit's are good eating!

Seriously, I prefer dado with sac fence but have used router on occasion.
Rob

Yeah it's best to pop em off while they are in the trap with one of those pump pellet guns - a lot less mess that way. My first hunting experience with double barrel 12 ga. loaded with bird shot, poor little rabbit hops right out in front of me... all that was left was fur and bloody rabbit parts scattered in the snow. We were supposed to be hunting ring neck pheasant, I don't know what I was thinking :roll: There are no pheasant around here. Pheasant my friend is some good eating, not to mention just a lot of fun hunting.

Ring-Neck-Pheasant-12132.jpg

I had an excellent bird and rabbit dog when I was a young guy. A full blooded female cocker spaniel named ginger she was red. On one occasion a buddy and I were hunting rabbit and one ran up a steep hill. I was tired of wading through the snow and did not feel like climbing up the hill. So my buddy went up there shot the rabbit, my dog picked it up ran down the hill and dropped it at my feet, that there is a good dog :) We still joke around about that one when we talk.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
It's been a while but I used to trap and cut a lot of rabbits when I was younger and lived up in Northern IL. There aren't very many rabbits around here in NC but up there they are everywhere.

2 Keep everything clean
8 Package and freeze.

Pretty easy really...

You can use the rabbit brain to tan it's hide if you want to save the skin and of course some think rabbit feet are lucky - I never thought that way myself.

Big rabbits are a little bit tough, go for the small tender ones, you'll be glad you did.

Thanks

Rabbits are best roasted over an open fire:gar-La;, with vinegar and red pepper!!

J

jeff...

Rabbits are best roasted over an open fire:gar-La;, with vinegar and red pepper!!

Never tried vinegar and red pepper, but have spit them over a open fire and they are pretty good that way. I still have the roasted rabbit and veggies recipe I used for many years - we would fry the quarters and then bake in the oven. Let me know if you want the recipe and I'll type it up... It works well and taste great... Not to mention very healthy. It's so good as a matter of fact, it's cured many who were reluctant about eating "cute lil bunny foo foo" :)

Notorious T.O.D.

New User
Todd
It depends on the size and number to be cut but I would choose:

Shaper
Table Saw
Hand Plane
Router

and last but not least Steak Knife...

Best,
Notorious T.O.D.

jimwill48

James
Ahhhhh....something I haven't had in 20 years...Fried Cottontail Rabbit, gravy and biscuits. I grew up in Southern Illinois and spent almost every winter since I was 8 years old (when Dad got me my 1st shotgun) hunting rabbits both walk hunting and with beagles (man that is one beautiful sound a beagle on the trail of a rabbit). Your right not many rabbits around in NC, Man I really miss those days..............

James

2 Keep everything clean
8 Package and freeze.

Pretty easy really...

Thanks

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Just wondering on this one. Do you cut a rabbit with a sac. fence, or cut it with the rip fence away from the dado stack? Why? I do both, just asking the crowd.
You know, until you posted this, I never even thought about cutting it with the rip fence away from the dado blade (i.e. cutting on the left side of teh work piece instead of the right). I guess I've only seen people cut rabbets on TV using a sacrificial fence. Or with a router table, but that's the same idea - bit close to the fence.

I would not want to cut on the left side when using a router though (work piece between fence and bit)...that would get hare-y. :slap:

J

jeff...

Ahhhhh....something I haven't had in 20 years...Fried Cottontail Rabbit, gravy and biscuits. I grew up in Southern Illinois and spent almost every winter since I was 8 years old (when Dad got me my 1st shotgun) hunting rabbits both walk hunting and with beagles (man that is one beautiful sound a beagle on the trail of a rabbit). Your right not many rabbits around in NC, Man I really miss those days..............

James

I know what you mean - I thought a lot about old memories when I was a young guy growing up in northern IL. We had thousands of acres of field and woods to hunt. Last time I was up there about 8 years ago all that hunting ground was developed into residential neighborhoods :tinysmile_cry_t:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS