Small wood steamer for bending wood.

bshilkitus

New User
Bill
Hi all. I am planning to build a ukulele. This will be my first build. I would like to join my love for music and woodworking. Anyway, I need to make a small steam box to bend the sides similar to the one in this video.
at the 0:17 mark. The only problem: I have no idea how to do it. Any suggestion from what type of wood, to the metal lining, to how do I get the steam in there?
Thanks so much.

Bill

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Earlex sells a few different styles of steamers but this one even comes with the instructions on how to build the steam box. A metal liner isn't really a necessary part and can even cause more headaches than it solves (I skipped that on my build). Do get and install a good thermometer though.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
This may be more than you need but it worked well for me.
IMGP3392.JPG

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
This may be more than you need but it worked well for me.View attachment 220920
My set up is similar, camp stove, pot, steam box. Box is simply blue foam insulation held together with duct tape. you can make the box any size to fit your requirements. I poked small dowels through crosswise to create a support for the wood so it isn’t laying on the bottom

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
My set up is similar, camp stove, pot, steam box. Box is simply blue foam insulation held together with duct tape. you can make the box any size to fit your requirements. I poked small dowels through crosswise to create a support for the wood so it isn’t laying on the bottom
Good idea on the dowels.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Kinda like smallboat, my steamer box is made of of cheap foil-faced rigid insulation board. I didn’t think duct tape would hold up, so it’s joined on the corners with furring strips ripped from a cheap 2x4.

For a steamer, I bought a cheap wallpaper steamer (Wagner brand?) off Craigslist. It puts out plenty of steam.

Another strategy is just to soak the strips in hot water, rather than steam them. Then you need a tray but not a steamer box.

-Mark

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Good idea on the dowels.
The “shelf” has a couple of benefits. exposes more surface to the steam and keeps the wood out of any condesate that may collect along the bottom side of the box.

speaking of bottom - for anyone new to this, angle your steam box slightly up to get the steam to move from one end to the other. I just throw a rag over the open end. There’s no pressure involved, just keeping the steam in to transfer the heat to the wood.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
1691445909121.png
1691508534627.png

I have been using this set up for years to make chair parts and boat ribs. I found a 5 gallon drum and you should only need 1 gallon of water to get the steam for 1 hour.

1691446013558.png

The PVC pipe is schedule 40 that won't bend and its insulated. You can get it at any plumbers supply store.
1691446286041.png

All of the connections are available at the box stores. The hose from the can of hot water is a radiator hose from the junkyard.
1691446461697.png
1691446629843.png

I wrap the 7/8 thick around the form with steel bands to help with cracking. Notice the steam coming out of the bottom of the pipe?Thats OK you put the cap on the end of the pipe with a squeeze fit.

I have made lots of chairs using this steambox and its been great. You can break it down and store it without worries.

Dan

Last edited:

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
It is common for luthiers to use a hot pipe to bend the thin sides of guitars and ukes. The sides are soaked in hot water and pressed against a 3-4" diameter pipe to bend the sides. I do not believe that a steam box is necessary.

spitzerone

New User
Gary
View attachment 220932View attachment 220943

I have been using this set up for years to make chair parts and boat ribs. I found a 5 gallon drum and you should only need 1 gallon of water to get the steam for 1 hour.

View attachment 220933
The PVC pipe is schedule 40 that won't bend and its insulated. You can get it at any plumbers supply store.View attachment 220934
All of the connections are available at the box stores. The hose from the can of hot water is a radiator hose from the junkyard.View attachment 220935View attachment 220936
I wrap the 7/8 thick around the form with steel bands to help with cracking. Notice the steam coming out of the bottom of the pipe?Thats OK you put the cap on the end of the pipe with a squeeze fit.

I have made lots of chairs using this steambox and its been great. You can break it down and store it without worries.

Dan
Ingenius!

BML

Lee
Senior User
glad to find this information, as I am looking to build a steamer for some leather clamps.

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
My setup is almost identical to Dan’s. I use an Earlex steam generator that is made for this purpose. I think I got it at Highland Hardware. It has several safety features built in. Don’t forget to drill a small drain hole at the lowest point in the bottom of the steam chamber.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I bought a steam generator along with the hose and couplings from Rockler. As I recall, the kit came with a set of plans for building a steam box, which I did. I have used it on several occasions and it has performed well.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hi all. I am planning to build a ukulele. This will be my first build. I would like to join my love for music and woodworking. Anyway, I need to make a small steam box to bend the sides similar to the one in this video.
at the 0:17 mark. The only problem: I have no idea how to do it. Any suggestion from what type of wood, to the metal lining, to how do I get the steam in there?
Thanks so much.

Bill

This would make a great build "article" for our Resource forum. Please consider.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors