Small bandsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

mocountryboy

New User
Jack
This is a dumb question to ask. I'm looking at a 9" Wen and a 10" Rikon. The Rikon is twice the price, and I'm sure it is a better saw. I just don't know if it is worth the extra. Does anyone have one of these saw?
Thanks

W Burton

New User
Bill
This is a dumb question to ask. I'm looking at a 9" Wen and a 10" Rikon. The Rikon is twice the price, and I'm sure it is a better saw. I just don't know if it is worth the extra. Does anyone have one of these saw?
Thanks

I have the Rikon 10 bandsaw, and like it a lot. It has more power than I thought it would. It is pretty easy to adjust and holds its adjustments well.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
A friend of mine had a Rikon 10 inch saw and couldn’t get it to work, I adjusted the guides in about 15 minutes and it cut fine from then on. It is small and precise and needs a good tune up to work well.

PeteStaehling

New User
Pete
Thanks
I have a Ryob1 which I think is about the same as the Wen. I use it a lot and it works okay.

That said the Rikon is a MUCH nicer saw. It is a much more rigid in supporting the upper guides, using metal parts there rather than plastic. It has a much better trunion setup. It has a nicer table and a fence. The slightly larger wheels is a plus as well.

awldune

Sam
User
I have the Rikon, it is pretty nice. If you are patient, sometimes you might find it on a good sale.

One issue I had with mine is it threw and shredded the drive belt. I'm not sure quite why this happened, but it has been fine after I replaced the belt.

BTW, I believe the official replacement belt was $30 but I found a generic replacement for $2 and ordered 3 of them for less than $10 shipped.

Last edited:

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Another vote for the Rikon. Great small band saw to compliment my 18" Laguna. The 2 triangle area wood working supply stores will have your blades.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
If you like the Rikon 10" but not the price check out the Craftsman 10", they are almost identical and I have had mine for several years with no issues. The Craftsman comes in at about half the price of the Rikon.

Ed D

New User
Ed
You might check out the new Grizzly 9" band saw. Looks like a good offering; all metal, integrated light and dust port, cast aluminum wheels, etc. Gets great reviews on the Grizzly website. $199. If I was in the market, I would consider it very seriously. Good luck in your search.
Ed

Last edited:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
One thing to consider when buying a band saw is wheel size. The smaller the wheel, the more stress is put on the blade, leading to shorter blade life. The saws with 3 wheels, although giving you a wider cutting ability, stresses the blade 1/2 again as much as a 2 wheel saw, and the smaller diameter of the wheel makes for a sharper bend as the blade passes over the wheel. The larger the wheel, the longer the blade life due to less breakage.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
We have a Rikon 10" in the Outreach trailer and it has been used many times to cut bandsaw boxes out of 3" hardwood. It has never failed
Plus I have the same in my shop - I would but again

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have seen the Rikon 10" for $200, but not recently. Highland now has it for $230. Klingspor would probably match that

mocountryboy

New User
Jack
Was able to pick up the Rikon 10" bandsaw last weekend. Have not had time to set it up yet. Hope I can this weekend. Thanks for the inputs.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I have a 9" Craftsman bought used which is exactly the same as the Rikon version except the Craftsman has a cast iron table and the Rikon had an aluminum table. I found it used for very little money. All it needed was retensioning the belt and it works great for small curvy stuff and quick cutoffs. Well worth the little space it occupies. I use a bigger saw for ripping rough lumber and resawing.

mocountryboy

New User
Jack
Where and what brand of blades do you get for the 10" Rikon saw?
Will be using for small cuts.
Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS