Slab Top Workbench

zdorsch

Zach
Senior User
I’m in the planning stage of a workbench too to replace my old one. Please ignore the messy bench—that is my current setup.

Backstory: When not in use my unisaw lives under my workbench. My current bench is a solid core wooden door. I purchased a new fence for my unisaw and it does not fit under my current workbench, so I’m now making a new saw cart and need a new top for the cart to fit under.

I was planning to use SYP cut into 3” to 3.5” strips, but found a guy on FB marketplace selling 2” oak slabs for $85. My guess is that they are not very dry, but I’m wondering if 2” would be sufficient for a workbench top spanning 84” long by 36” wide?

Attachments

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
This may not be a concern for you, but the way I use my bench, I would be concerned about a slab staying flat. Plus, 2" is not thick enough for that length of span.

Stick with the SYP idea ;)

Jeff

Jeff
Corporate Member
You should be fine with a 2" thick oak slab for your top despite the 84" wide span. Plug a few numbers in to the "Sagulator" to check for yourself. You'll still be able to store your saw under the table.

zdorsch

Zach
Senior User
I learned the oak had only been drying for 6-8 months. I was still considering it, but the seller removed the ad.

I also found some poplar 4/4 boards that I’m considering instead. They’re supposed to be at 10% for the past few months.

ncfromnc

neil
User
I learned the oak had only been drying for 6-8 months. I was still considering it, but the seller removed the ad.

I also found some poplar 4/4 boards that I’m considering instead. They’re supposed to be at 10% for the past few months.
I would consider Poplar to be too soft for a work bench

photostu

New User
Stuart
Bob,

I'm in the process of wanting to build a Roubo, I may be interested in some of your wood.

marinosr

Richard
Senior User
SYP would make a nice benchtop.

Zach are you incredibly tall? Your benchtop must be 42" high! Have you considered building the saw into your bench? It sure would put your bench at a much more comfortable height, save you some wood, and give you a ready-made outfeed table.

zdorsch

Zach
Senior User
If you want to re-consider SYP I have some offered on CL. https://raleigh.craigslist.org/mat/d/durham-miscellaneous-pine/6876577381.html

There's enough to make a bench top of your dimensions. I would re-saw those that are too thick and give an NCWW member a discount.

Bob
Thanks Bob! If I were nearer to Raleigh, I would definitely take you up on the offer.

SYP would make a nice benchtop.

Zach are you incredibly tall? Your benchtop must be 42" high! Have you considered building the saw into your bench? It sure would put your bench at a much more comfortable height, save you some wood, and give you a ready-made outfeed table.
Richard, I'm not tall (only 6'), the bench design is dictated by my garage space (that I use as a shop and still park two cars in). My saw actually sits about 2-3" taller on the stand--a happy accident from my last setup where I needed additional space beneath my table saw to run the dust collection system. I grew accustomed to the taller working height of my saw table and did the same with my unisaw. My current workbench does not get used for much hand work, something I hope to change whenever I get a dedicated shop (or at least shop space). The picture that I attached also shows the other "workbench" that the main workbench rests on, which also influenced the height.

Jeff

Jeff
Corporate Member
Two sheets of 5/8" or 3/4" thick plywood should work without a torsion box for additional support. What's the vertical height beneath your bench? The Unisaw is on a frame with wheels and the new fence is how high and it all fits.

You'll need 2 more of those Ikea legs for your design.

Try the Sagulator to get an idea how much sag/deflection to expect over 8' l.

zdorsch

Zach
Senior User
Two sheets of 5/8" or 3/4" thick plywood should work without a torsion box for additional support. What's the vertical height beneath your bench? The Unisaw is on a frame with wheels and the new fence is how high and it all fits.

You'll need 2 more of those Ikea legs for your design.

Try the Sagulator to get an idea how much sag/deflection to expect over 8' l.

Hey Jeff!

I think you may have responded to the wrong thread. I think this is the thread that you meant:

zdorsch

Zach
Senior User
It took me a while to find this thread again—but I had a chance to work on the workbench.

I started last week and my planer died, or so I thought. There was a buildup of dust in the motor.

I’ll pull the clamps later today.

For some reason this hickory planed much better than the hickory I used for my kids’ bunk beds. The only discernsblendifference was that this lumber had more color variation than the hickory for my kids’ bed.

Attachments

Jeff

Jeff
Corporate Member
I'm confused again after looking back at your original thread. You've switched to hickory instead of oak or SYP. Hickory will make a good workbench too.

The boards appear to contain a lot of heartwood (the dark part) but I don't know if that affects how the wood will plane.

Lots of heartwood in this pic from HobbittHouse.

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 9.18.51 AM.png

creasman

Jim
User
I used hickory as the principal wood for my bench top. It's a good choice. The top is 3" thick and composed of laminated 1" x 3" boards. The only caution is hickory can be stringy and tear out when planing. Go slow and skew the plane when flattening. Otherwise, it makes a heavy, rock solid top.

Pop Golden

Pop
Corporate Member
When I built my new workbench last year I used pine. It's 2 X 4's planed to 1.25 X 2.5 they are laminated with screws between each layer. It was built in 2 sections because I only have a 15 in. plane. It is supported by 4 X 4 oak legs and multiple supports between the drawers. It's very sturdy with 0 deflection. Top is coated with 6 coats of poly.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS