Sketchup - endtable drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
What do you guys/gals think? I drew each individual piece of wood with all of the correct dimensions and then assembled it. That way I basically have an entire cut list with all of the measurements. BTW, this is regarding this piece.

Also, for those of you who have not yet tried the free sketchup program available through google, it ROCKS!
endtable.jpg

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Looks good Chris.:eusa_danc :icon_thum I also like sketchup it is easy to use and the best part it is FREE. Keep us posted with WIP pics and if you still need to use some shop tools you are welcome to stop in Apex and use anything I have.
Good Luck Nick

sapwood

New User
Roger
That's pretty cool Chris :cool:

Now if they will just come out with a Mac version :crybaby2:

Roger

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I guess I need to play with Google's Sketchup a bit more. I went thru the tutorials, but didn't know it worked this well.

Ray

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have alway said that if you can draw it, you can build it....looking forward to seeing it in real life.

Dave:)

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
Well I think it is definately time to re-evaluate how I do my shop drawings. If sketchup can do that! Good job Chris :eusa_danc Can't wait to see the actual project.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great looking rendering Chris.:icon_thum I look forward to seeing your WIP pix as well as the completed project.

D L

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Thanks for the comments all!

For anyone interested in learning sketchup, the tutorials are definately worth going through. The program is a little quirky, especially with 3D type curved surfaces. But if you play around with it a bit, you get used to it.

Michael, your post of your hutch rendering was my inspiration to learn sketchup! Thanks for the heads up on that!

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
well it looks great friend. Did you draw them to actual scale? And you said you drew the parts out piece by piece, that is a great idea. I use Sketcup to do a rendering and then also break out my drafting table and draw my parts list and constuction details. But that seems like such a good idea to make each part. I will have to try that next time. Be blessed friend.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
well it looks great friend. Did you draw them to actual scale? And you said you drew the parts out piece by piece, that is a great idea. I use Sketcup to do a rendering and then also break out my drafting table and draw my parts list and constuction details. But that seems like such a good idea to make each part. I will have to try that next time. Be blessed friend.

Yes, actual scale. I used two files. One with the pieces all individually and the other with the assembled piece. That way when I go to build, I can use the tape measure to measure any of the individual pieces.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
do you know of a short cut that when you draq your shape it tells the length? I have had to draw a line and then switch to the measuring tape to get the length. Any short cuts? thanks friend.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
That's an easy one!
Draw the line (pencil icon)
Right after drawing it, type the length you want. Default units are inches.
It should look like:
1 3/8
or
or
If using a fraction, put a space between the whole number and the fraction. You can also force it to use feet inches like this:
1' 2"
But I tend to stick w/ all inches for simplicity.
The length you enter will start from the first point of reference you use for the line.
This same concept applies to drawing boxes and the push pull tool as well.
Boxes look like this:
27 3/8, 5 1/2
Draws a 27 3/8 by 5 1/5 box.
Push pull looks just like the examples for the line, but you have to remember direction. Just push or pull a little bit whichever direction you want to go, then enter the length.
Hope this helps.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am VERY impressed. I must not get it. I have played with it and played with it, but nothing even a tenth of what you have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS