Site Virus, so what really happened....

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Bottom line, a big hole in an add on product, VBSEO, let in the malicious code.

Evildoers used this hole to inject some very highly obfuscated code into our database.

That bad code was injected above our normal html for anyone who was not logged in.

It set a cookie on the infected users computer and tried to run a random remote script to do "who knows what". The random nature accounts for whey we got different specific virus reports.

Luckily, many of our Windows users were running virus scanning programs that recognized the problem.

There are two threads of interest, if you wish to know more.
Vbulletin: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?361938-Code-randomly-injected-into-our-vbulletin-pages

VBSEO: http://www.vbseo.com/f5/security-bulletin-vbseo-3-5-2-released-45358/

Currently, we have disabled VBSEO so the hole has been plugged for now.

RWH (Real Web Host) worked with us to restore the database prior to the infection and then bring back our threads/posts and pictures.

The Admin staff is reviewing VBSEO to determine its future.

I'd like to say this won't happen again, but alas, its just part of the deal. Hopefully, if future incidents occur, we'll be able to minimize the impact.

Thanks,
Jim

b4man

New User
Barbara
Froggy,

I have got to tell you

You are one amazing guy!

I was absent for most of the drama and for once I'm grateful I've been otherwise engaged. I have always heard that no one is irreplaceable and that may have once been true but no longer. You could never be replaced here and what you mean to us is unequaled to anyone else.

My sincere thanks, all my respect and my love for this site goes to you my friend.

Barbara

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Well, those threads were certainly enlightening. The way the hacker was able to cover his tracks through encoding certainly made this one impossible to find. I could admire the cleverness If I didn't want to strangle this person and then run him through my surface planer.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Call me if you need someone to man the outfeed table :)

Jim

Well, those threads were certainly enlightening. The way the hacker was able to cover his tracks through encoding certainly made this one impossible to find. I could admire the cleverness If I didn't want to strangle this person and then run him through my surface planer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors