Site redesign & software upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'm posting this in the M&A forum instead of the Test Site forum, because this is as much about ideas as it is about technical aspects.

I've been installing the new versions of the site software, and experimenting with the new features to see how we can improve the site. I guess that's the first point of discussion: Do we need improvement? I think we do.

We have a lot of content on the site. At the core are the discussion forums, where people ask questions and other people answer. That won't change. But much of what we post to the forums isn't really a discussion. Take Ernie's series on building a harpsichord. This was about showing how to construct the various pieces, not asking for advice. Likewise, we have Announcements that sort of hang out at the top of the page. They take up room on every forum page, which really impacts the space we have for the actual discussion stuff. Likewise, Doug's recent "From the President" message was more of a blog post than a forum post. We talked about maybe closing that thread right away, but how that would look somewhat unfriendly, something we wouldn't have with a blog post. Also, we have a Download Library that is heavily underused, probably because most people don't know where to look. Finally, we sometimes have forum discussions that are gold mines of information, that we'd really like to preserve. There was a thread about 6 months ago I think where Max In Graham talked about soundproofing a room. Everything Howard Acheson writes is worth saving too. I think Scott Smith and Doug brought this up before, how it would be great if we could harvest that information and turn it into articles.

I also think our site is too cluttered, with 16 ways to reach the same page. And cosmetically a face lift wouldn't hurt either, just to keep things looking fresh.

I put a mock-up together on the test site, with a fake article/ announcement, a Youtube video where John demonstrates his spring pole lathe, and some dummy forum posts. Now that's the kind of home page I'd like to see when I come to the site!

site_demo.jpg

View image in gallery

There is a lot of layout and design work to do here. For example, there is a menu bar at the top (Home Forum Blogs etc.), with a sub menu below it. What goes where? I also put some links on the left side of the screen (they duplicate the sub menu items), just to give an idea of the options. Where do we put info about wood suppliers? Policies? Woodworking schools? Discount program? Then there's the center content. How much space do we devote to the "most recent" forum posts? Do we bring back the photo gallery (we disabled that because it killed performance with the old software)? Should we include the most recent classifieds here too? Where do the ads go?

So, lots of questions. Our current site has grown organically over the years, with some items thrown together in a haphazard sort of way. It's not bad, but it could be better. Tracy, Jim, Chad & I could probably take a crack at it, and put something together halfway decent, but our talents lie with [STRIKE]woodworking[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]computer programming[/STRIKE] playing fetch with the dog, not graphical design. So, this is where we may want to bring in an expert. It would be great if we could find someone within the membership who is experienced in web site design/ vbulletin, but sometimes you're better off hiring a pro.

I'd also like to hear what your ideas are. If we do want to go the route of splitting our content a little into different categories, we as the staff would need to manage that. Certainly more fun and a welcome break from just having to do moderation, but work nonetheless. I could also use some help with building "demonstration" content for the test site, so that we have something representative to work with. Yes, you can do layout with an "article" that just says "blah blah blah blah", but it's hard to really get into it that way. No programming skils required for this, it's all via the vbulletin admin panel, not that much different from writing a forum post. If you're interested, let me know and I'll set you up on the test site.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Bas raise a lot of good points. At the very least I think the site needs to have its look redone periodically to keep it from becoming "stale." I too think there are too many ways to get to the same information and a lot of information is buried.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Bas,

What an excellent post. I found my self nodding the entire way and love the mock-up of the new home page. I especially like the idea about improved Article and Download sections. There is so much excellent information about all kinds of woodworking/DYI topics buried in the forum that are close to impossible to find. That kind of repository would make an excellent resource.

I'm not very good at the dreaming phase of this kind of project. Unless I can see it and play with it I won't be able to come up with too much in the way of constructive ideas. That being said, I'd be happy to be one of the test "users" once we have a proof of concept/alpha site in place...

Travis

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
One thing to bear in mind is to create a layout that provides sufficient room for our tombstone and google ads.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thought it might help with perspective seeing some of our sister sites layouts.
Looks like we hang out at the same sites :) I don't go to Wood Central a lot, but SMC and WoodNet are required stops.

Jim's screenshots are great, because I think they highlight the two types of woodworking sites that are out there. We have the traditional forums such as Sawmill Creek and WoodNet, and the more modern "portals" such as Lumberjocks and The WoodWhisperer Community. WoodCentral is sort of unique, it has a forum, articles, classifieds, reviews etc., but I find the site someone primitive and content is "stacked". For people familiar with the site, that's probably not an issue, but I had a hard time navigating at first.

The key question to answer is: What kind of site do we want to be? It shouldn't be a surprise that I prefer the Portal style. I think Jim leans toward the Forum style (if not, please pretend you do because it makes for a great discussion). Diversity is a wonderful thing. It's hard to argue with the success of the Forum style. SMC is pretty much 'vanilla' vBulletin v3 without any bells or whistles. WoodNet is even simpler. Both are in the top 3 woodworking sites in terms of members and volume. It's all about the discussions. If we decide to change the style of North Carolina Woodworker, one of three things can happen: People embrace the new format and we're all happier. Or, people ignore the new features and just bypass everything to get back to the forum they know and love. Or, the new stuff makes people feel "lost" and they abandon the site. Not all progress is for the better.

In my opinion, what makes North Carolina Woodworker great is the community aspect. We will never be the biggest woodworking site on the web, nor should we strive to be. We've deliberately limited our membership to establish the regional aspect. But we're much more than a woodworking forum. We have shop crawls, a local discount program, lumber runs, a picnic, classifieds etc. And let's face it, the woodworking advice on the site is great, but it's not necessarily better than what you could get on SMC, WoodNet or WoodCentral. Friendlier, perhaps, but not better. So that's not really our "identity". I think the Portal format fits our community objective better. But that's me. In other areas, I am far more conservative. I'm not passionate about supporting mobile devices (I work from home, so I don't want/ need a smart phone), I don't Twitter, I try to blog at work twice a year and always abandon it after a few weeks, and I use Facebook almost exclusively to play games :) The point being, we have to make sure we choose something that fits the audience for this site.

I'll shut up now :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors