Should router be my next buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
The most used tools in my shop are table saw, router (in or out of table) and drill. The tablesaw was one of my first purchases. Looking back, it was not the smartest move. My shop was so small that it took up nearly the entire room. I could barely turn around. Knowing what I know now, I should have bought/built a good rip guide and maybe a good crosscut jig for the circular saw. I would then have had plenty of money left to buy a GOOD router, build a decent router table and get some of the many router accessories that I now have.

It's hard to say, because I can barely imagine _not_ having a table saw, but the same goes for the router and table. If you buy your lumber S2S, then a good circular saw (with appropriate guides) and a router/table will get you a long way. There is hardly anything you can't do with a router/table. I remember a TV series called Router Workshop that showcased many functions. I think it's on DVD? There are many good router books (one of my favorites is Router Joinery Workshop by Carol Reed).

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Lots of good advice here. If you do decide to get a router, the Bosch combo unit you mentioned is an good choice. Other good choices are the Craftsman, DeWalt, Makita, Mliwaukee and Porter-Cable . There have been plenty of tests in woodworking magazines, and the differences between them are small. Look for 2 1/4hp, variable speed, and soft start. Also check the accessories, some kits come with an edge guide, others charge extra. Guide bushings are extremely useful, look for a router that is compatible with the Porter Cable system.

I also recommend you go to a store (Klingspor, Woodcraft, Lowe's, Home Depot, Sears) and hold the router in your hand. I like the plunge action on the Bosch, but I liked the fixed base on the DeWalt better. Some people like a trigger in the handle, others prefer an old fashioned switch. Just stay away from the Skil ones. They do alright with hand routing, but the slop in the base makes them poor choices for table routing.

pirate71

New User
Evans
I'll throw out one that no one has mentioned. You can find the old craftsman radial arm saws for $50-$100 on CL. Most people are getting rid of them since they take up some room and the table saw does everything a radial arm saw will do(and do it better) except crosscut long boards.

When I first starting messing around with woodworking, a radial arm saw was all I had and it served the purpose very well.

Now if someone is giving away a table saw, that's hard to beat.

Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS