Shore Bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Carved from Butternut, acrylic paints. I made a paste with Minwax Polycrylic and sand, applied it to a piece of 1/2 inch plywood, and embedded some shells. I wasn't sure it was going to work, but it dried hard as a rock! (Hope it doesn't flake off!:eusa_pray) I was going to make a paste with epoxy, but it looked a little too wet when it dried.

Thanks for looking.

]

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
ABSOLUTELY gorgeous!
(and pretty creative on the landscape too!)

MagGeorge

New User
George
Awesome carving! The bird looks realistic, great details on the feathers as well as the paint job. The sand and the shells are great props. Amazing work!

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Very nice.
One of these days I have to learn how to paint like that!

Just try it. That's what I did. Trial and error....lots of errors! Painting is actually the hardest part for me, but the most fun. I guess because it is so challenging. I need to learn how to mix paints better...I waste a lot trying to get the right color. I've actually considered taking a basic class from Alan Montague. I usually stop by his booth at the Raleigh flea market.

mamadear7

New User
Bam
Very nice work! Do you do pyrography? I am looking at getting started with pyrography. Once I get good with the burning, I would like to add painting and then maybe eventually carving as well. Feel it's better to try to learn one thing at a time though, don't want to get in so deep that I "burn" out on it all.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Very nice work! Do you do pyrography? I am looking at getting started with pyrography. Once I get good with the burning, I would like to add painting and then maybe eventually carving as well. Feel it's better to try to learn one thing at a time though, don't want to get in so deep that I "burn" out on it all.

The feather texture is all done with a beginners wood burner (http://www.walnuthollow.com/items/creative-versa-tool-/38283/) with a fine tip...I filed down the one it came with to the size I wanted. I haven't tried a complete piece with wood burning. I watched a ton of you tube videos on techniques for carving, burning, and painting then just dove in all at once. I made quite a few mistakes at first, but I learned from each one. I think you should just go for it:thumbs_up.

mamadear7

New User
Bam
The feather texture is all done with a beginners wood burner (http://www.walnuthollow.com/items/creative-versa-tool-/38283/) with a fine tip...I filed down the one it came with to the size I wanted. I haven't tried a complete piece with wood burning. I watched a ton of you tube videos on techniques for carving, burning, and painting then just dove in all at once. I made quite a few mistakes at first, but I learned from each one. I think you should just go for it:thumbs_up.

I too have this type of wood burner. I have only used it once and although for a first effort it didn't turn out too bad, I have done some research and it seems that for what I want to accomplish I need to get a detail wood burning kit. I am looking into the pen style burners, much more expensive, but much more accurate and look like they will be easier to use. I've found some good information online, but was hoping to find someone that can help me get started. I appreciate your comments and I too will probably make plenty of mistakes, but can't learn if we don't try...right! I would love to do the wood carving also, but it looks so difficult. I picture it as something you would have to be taught, not just learn on your own.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
"...I picture it as something you would have to be taught, not just learn on your own."

Bam, Since I didn't want to spend a bunch of $$ on classes, I learned it on my own by reading a lot, watching you tube videos, and perusing various carving sites on line. I started out doing a little relief carving and finally delved into carving "in the round". My wife and I enjoy bird watching, so it was a natural for me to want to carve birds. My advice would be to concentrate your carving on subjects you really enjoy, whether it is birds, animals, caricatures, people, or whatever. The more interested you are in the subject, the more likely you are to want to perfect the carving.

If you want to take a class, I would highly recommend getting in touch with a member here...Stave. He is located in Asheville and is a true artist. Take a look at his work in the photo gallery. I wish I could come close to the work he does. I'm not sure if he is doing any classes, but I have heard very positive feedback from other members who have worked with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS