Shopless...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiffany

New User
Tiffany
I am new to woodworking. I have always wanted to learn, but last summer I jumped in by taking a class at Durham Tech. I made my husband take the class with me because I was a bit timid about the whole thing. Together we built our kitchen table, and I just loved making it! I am currently in graduate school trying to get a PhD which has caused several problems with trying to pick up woodworking as a hobby 1. It's hard to make the time (but I'm sure lots of you struggle with this one) and 2. I'm not really in a place in my life where I can set up a shop (no where to put one in my condo) and even if I had a place for a shop, I couldn't afford to set it up!

So, that's a little introduction for you. I am hoping to learn what I can from this forum, even though my projects will have to be small things that I can do with just my little miter saw (my only major tool) set up on my back patio!

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Hey Tiffany! Glad to decided to join us here on the forum. Lot's of us started out shopless... so I'm glad you're not letting that stop you. My wife can tell about our introduction to woodworking with a scrollsaw set up in our dining room. :gar-Bi

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Tiffany,

You've started down a dangerous path, don't say I didn't warn you.
First, you're shopless but wanting more room...
Then you find a shop and start acquiring tools, but you will soon see that your shop is too small and need a bigger shop. It's a great cycle to get caught in ;-)

Welcome to NCWW, you'll find lots of help, experience and talent.

Please join us for our spring picnic...Here's a link to the thread.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Nice of you to join in. I think I saw you on the Hilsborough/Orange meet up?

I started wood working with a pocketknife, hand drill and a coping saw, so don't give up. Keep at it and the tools will come.

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
Welcome.
It's OK to start with whatever you have. One guy I met has a miter saw,
hammer, elec. drill, etc., built a bunkbed for his kids.

Wishes.

Pinwu

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Tiffany. Our website is a user friendly no shop required meeting place. Jump right in.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome, Tiffany!
There's a place for all of us at NCWWer.
I have a reasonable assemblage of tools, but no woodworking skills :confused_

Enjoy,
Roger

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Glad you found us, Tiffany. Lots of stuff to learn about WW'ing, so do not get discouraged. Small projects can help you learn a lot.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Hello friend,
There are many many facets to woodworking. First of all congratulations on making your dining table. (you have done more than probably 98% of most people that own a table) Second, my personal belief is that you don't have to have it all at one time. As I look back at my woodworking career I see in a lot of ways I wish I could have/should slowed down in many aspects. Becoming a crafts-person is a life walk, it is not something that should be rushed, your woodworking takes on a passion and reflection of your soul, and mind. If you follow that you will be legendary like the many artisans here. If your current chapter in life does not allow you to have a "Norm-Abrams" shop no worries. Maybe pick up a couple chip carving knifes, some balsa wood and start carving. (just a suggestion) You could later use that skill when making other furniture, by adding beautiful carvings. Just one example of woodworking that you can do on a limited budget and space. Welcome friend, have a blessed day.

thrytis

New User
Eric
Welcome! Don't let the lack of a shop limit you. It just makes you be more selective about what you get and requires you to organize. I started off with just a miter saw working on an apartment balcony, and before i moved and got a real shop, i had added a drill press, table saw, and router table in addition to various hand held power tools, all stored in a 2'x4' closet shared with a bunch of other non-woodworking stuff. I did more woodworking on my balcony than i do now since i wasn't fixing up stuff around the house and taking care of the lawn and garden.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Tiffany! Glad to see you joined up.

I suspect Bob is taking credit for convincing you to join :)

We've seen pictures of your Durham Tech Table over on HOW. What a fantastic job!

Rest assured, your shop (or patio) will never be big enough, and you won't ever have enough tools :)

So, a hearty welcome to NCWW!

Jim

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome Tiffany!

Sounds like we have a lot in common...just a 3 decades apart.
I started my Woodworking while at UNC, living in an apartment in Durham. My shop was the spare bathroom and I was on my knees with a piece of 3/4 ply over the tub as a workbench doing it Japanese style.

I'm sure if you need something sawn/jointed/planed/sanded that you can't handle there are bunches of NCWW members within 10 miles of you who would be happy to help. Bribes of fancy wood, good food and a nice bottle of wine or 6 pack of good beer help too.:gar-La;

Mike K

Mike
Corporate Member
Welcom Tiffany,

Your situation sounds familiar. I to started with only a miter saw, and built a fort and swingset for my kids. Two moves later, I now have a dedicated shop, and I can't seem to get enough tools. You have so much to look forward to. Good to have you here...MK

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Tiffany, I am glad you could join us. It sounds like your kitchen table is more than some folks with fancy shops have made. It's not how or where you do it, but why and that you do it. I am sure with the collective shop of NCWW you can find access to any tool or assistance you need.
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

First, good luck on your doctoral studies -- been there done that, so I know the intense rigors of it with a spouse to help you when you're down. Second, we're happy you found this unique sawdust pile and we think we can help you learn some thinks about woodworking and will enjoy the camraderie as well. By all means, you and your husband (and any kids) should plan to make the Spring Picnic and join in the fun. Their are many area of woodworking you could do in a small home or apartment -- scrolling, intarsia and any form of carving come to mind. We have many talented people here in a broad suite of woodworking disciplines, so don't be hesitant to ask questions.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Hi Tiffany, glad to have you with us:icon_thum have you ever thought about taking up the scroll saw - it is small and you can set it up on a table with some casters to roll it outside - just a thought - it would get you going until you can get something else figured out

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Welcome Tiffany - one word of advise, if somebody tells you to stain a piece of wood - slap em, HARD :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS