Shop Vacuum Recommendation

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
My vac I used for cleanup gave up this weekend so I need another. Wondering if anyone has one they particularly like. I do not want a Shop Vac brand as I have had two and I had trouble with the latches on both especially if I picked it up by the handle when loaded. What ever I get I want a 10' cord, on wheels, and an option to add more dust collection if needed. No HEPA just be able to collect more than the heavier materials.

And I know that all shop vacs suck.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have been happy with my Ridgid shop vac that I bought a few years ago. Lots quieter than the Shop Vac brand (at least at that time. Not sure if the Shop Vacs a have improved over the last 10 years).)

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I have a Fien Turbo with reusable bag and a Ridgid with a dust topper. They are both about 2-3 years old. Here is how they compare:
Noise: about the same, Fien may be slightly quieter, but it has a higher pitch, so equally annoying.
Suction: Ridged is slightly better in side by side tests.
Mobility: Ridgid has the big rear wheels that don’t swivel. Fien has 4 swivel small wheels. So depending on the situation each are better in one situation and worse in others.
Cost: Ridgid is about 1/3 to 1/4 the cost depending on models…and accessories.
Auto on/off : Fien has it, Ridgid does not.

I bought the Fien after the Ridgid thinking it would replace it. After getting it I decided to keep both. I don’t want to give up the suction of the Ridgid or the automatic feature of the Fien. The best option would be a vacuum that costs about the same as a Ridgid with an auto start feature. Perhaps a Ridgid with an add on automatic start/stop device would be a better balance.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I've been happy with the Ridgid mid size vac. Looking to add a dust extractor in the future, primarily for mobility and improve performance while sanding. A regular shop vac does OK but it's more of a general-purpose machine.

Interesting shop vac comparison can be found here:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have two Rigids. When one stopped working I bought another. My main shop vac has about as big a motor as Rigid offers (measured in amp draw) and a little 6 gallon capacity. It pulls through a dust deputy so very little collects in the vacuum. It has the quasi HEPA filter Rigid offers to minimize the circulation of fine dust. It is mounted to a little cart to hold the cyclone and also an auto on switch. The normal hose is a Bosch 6 meter hose. I use it on my Bosch sander, my DeWalt track saw, and my Festool Domino. I cut the power cords off these tools and have a foot or less of cord which ends with a computer cord connector I got from Amazon. I velcro a long computer power cord to the 6 meter (maybe it's 5 meter) hose so I can plug and unplug each to the vacuum. A big advantage of the aftermarket auto on switches is they will handle tools like my Track Saw that pulls 12 amps. My Domino is the big one too so it's pull would exceed many vacuums auto on switch. My setup is noisy but so are the tools it connects to. I don't really see an advantage of a more expensive shop vac. Rigids are not super well made and do not last forever but you can buy several for what the expensive vacuums cost. They work.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I had a small 6 gal rigid gifted to me about 20 years ago. It was well used when I got it and I just gave it away last year- still working fine I ran out of room. I have another medium size rigid I got over 15 years ago and is running just fine. A year or so ago I got the quasi hepa rigid, which works well. Guess this is a long way of saying I have had very good service life from the rigid vacs....

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
My Rigid that I've had for at least 10 years finally died.

Sunday I bought a new 12gal/5hp Rigid. Since I previously had no form of dust collection, I also picked up the Dustopper Pro as well. I put the "HEPA" filter in also.

In my limited use so far, I can recommend

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I have the Fein Turbo I with a shop-made adapter to use a 5-gal. bucket and a Dustopper.

1696937805395.png

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
My vac I used for cleanup gave up this weekend so I need another. Wondering if anyone has one they particularly like. I do not want a Shop Vac brand as I have had two and I had trouble with the latches on both especially if I picked it up by the handle when loaded. What ever I get I want a 10' cord, on wheels, and an option to add more dust collection if needed. No HEPA just be able to collect more than the heavier materials.

And I know that all shop vacs suck.
I have a Bosch 9-gallon shop vac. I use it behind a cyclone dust collector in the shop for general cleanup, mostly around the lathe. It is a very powerful vacuum. I've had it for only a year, so I can't comment on the longevity. When I bought it, it was a top-rated vac.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Looking to add a dust extractor in the future, primarily for mobility and improve performance while sanding. A regular shop vac does OK but it's more of a general-purpose machine.
Good point! Dust extractors are really THE best oprion for collecting hand tools and small machines. HEPA is also a valuabke feature.

Shop vacs are for best for either cleaning the floor or as a dedicated collector for small stationary tools - spindle sander, small bandsaw, stationary disc/belt, miter saw, etc.

Shop vac can be made HEPA by using the filters and bags. Expensive but the air quality is worth the cost in a small enclosed shop.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I bought a Rigid about 6 (?) years ago. It is loud as heck, but whatever, right? I've also added a 5 layer HEPA, from Amazon, as well as an Oneida cyclone.

Dust Deputy 2.5 Deluxe kit (I bought this when it was $175?)

I've heard the newer Rigids are a little quieter, so maybe check those out? Don't they also have a "Lifetime" warranty?

Also, a 0 - 30 CFM difference from these cheaper vacs, compared to the $500+ vacs is probably not a huge deal, so for me, so why spend $500+ on a vac?

Anyways.. good luck and make us proud! :D

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Plain old shop vacs, the Ridgid seem to be the tops. I use a Fein with a cyclone on top. The Makita is rated just as highly at half the price. You can find some OBJECTIVE reviews of shop vacs and dust collectors on You-Tube.
The shop dust collectors, Fein, Festool, Makita, are FAR quieter than the old shop vacs and HEPE filtered. With the cyclone ( DD or I use a clear view) I have not changed the bag in 4 years.

I am cheap, and yet I find the Fein to be one of the best things I have ever bought.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I have a Rigid 6 gal I use with my ROS. I had the Dust Stopper on it but took it off. Light dust seems to go right through it.

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I am looking for a vac to clean up saws & floor after use not for dust collection. I have a Festool for that. Turbo II's, etc, are not really what I need. Plus I had a Turbo II for 10 yrs and had no problems until the switch gave out. When I searched for parts there were none. Nothing. Could not even get replacement dust collection bag. Called Fein and they confirmed nothing was available. I jumped the switch so it is on all the time and use it for my chop saw plugged into a activation switch.

Thanks for all the input. I will check out the Ridgids when next we go to town.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Plain old shop vacs, the Ridgid seem to be the tops. I use a Fein with a cyclone on top. The Makita is rated just as highly at half the price. You can find some OBJECTIVE reviews of shop vacs and dust collectors on You-Tube.
The shop dust collectors, Fein, Festool, Makita, are FAR quieter than the old shop vacs and HEPE filtered. With the cyclone ( DD or I use a clear view) I have not changed the bag in 4 years.

I am cheap, and yet I find the Fein to be one of the best things I have ever bought.
I feel the same way. Great investment

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors